|Directed by||Suresh Krishna|
|Produced by||S. Martin|
|Written by||Kalaignar M. Karunanidhi|
by Maxim Gorky
|Cinematography||B. L. Sanjay|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
|Distributed by||Martin Productions|
|Budget||₹ 20 crores|
Kalaignarin Ilaignan (Tamil: இளைஞன், English: Youth) is a 2011 Tamil-language period vigilante film directed by Suresh Krishna, who directs his 50th film, and written by DMK Chief and the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Kalaignar M. Karunanidhi, its 75th film and based on the Russian novel, The Mother, by Maxim Gorky.
Karky (Pa. Vijay) is the son of Arokkyasami (Nassar) who wants to win freedom of his people from the shipbuilding owner Rajanayagam (Suman) and his evil wife Sena (Namitha). How he achieves this forms the crux of the story.
- Pa. Vijay as Karky Arokkyasami
- Meera Jasmine as Meera Deivanayagam
- Remya Nambeesan as Ramya Chettiar
- Suman as Rajanayagam
- Namitha as Sena
- Nassar as Arokkyasami
- Vadivelu as Isaac
- Karunas as Subair
- Delhi Ganesh
- Kushboo Sundar as Valliammai
- Sarath Babu as Deivanayagam
- Y. Gee. Mahendra as Chettiar
- Rajendran as Kaalia
- Nizhalgal Ravi
- Bala Singh
- Kavithalaya Krishnan
- K. Natraj
|Soundtrack album by Vidyasagar|
|Released||15 January 2011|
The soundtrack has 5 songs composed by Vidhyasagar.
- Mazhayil Kulitha - Karthik, Anwesha
- Imai Thoothane - Chinmayi
- Neeya Neeya - Tippu
- Oru Nila - Karthik, Shreya Ghoshal
- Thozha Vaanam - Hariharan
Sify wrote "The film is made like an old fashioned steamy tear jerker where good triumphs over evil in the last reel. Characters and milieu look early 20th century, they speak loudly as though they are on a stage without mikes". Behindwoods wrote "Ilaingan is a movie that extols the virtues of communism; of workers demanding their rights and fighting for them. A good tight plot which seldom deviates, but is weighed down by a slightly plain graph of narration and a bit incomplete period recreation. It will be a good watch for those who enjoy strong-willed dramas." Nowrunning wrote " Great effort has been taken to make the film with a ship of majestic proportions, but the story fails to impress. The plot is age old, something irrelevant in today's time."
- "'Thai Kaviyam' is now big budget 'Ilaignan'". Indiaglitz. 19 March 2010.
- "CM to launch 'Ilaignan'". Indiaglitz. 24 April 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2016.