Hurdal within Akershus
|Coordinates: 60°24′57″N 11°0′31″E / 60.41583°N 11.00861°ECoordinates: 60°24′57″N 11°0′31″E / 60.41583°N 11.00861°E|
|• Mayor (2013)||Runar Bålsrud (V)|
|• Total||285 km2 (110 sq mi)|
|• Land||261 km2 (101 sq mi)|
|Area rank||284 in Norway|
|• Rank||292 in Norway|
|• Density||10/km2 (30/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||5.4 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0239|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
Hurdal is located about 70 kilometres (40 mi) north of Oslo, along the lake Hurdalsjøen. Fjellsjøkampen is the highest hill in Akershus. About 5 km north of the administrative centre, Hurdal, is the Hurdal Ski Centre.
The name (Old Norse: Urðardalr and Hurðardalr) is an old district name. (The name of the church site is Gjøing.) The first element is the genitive case of an old river name (later called Gjøingelva which means "Gjøing river"), probably Urð which means "stony river" (from urð which means "scree"). (The sideform Hurðardalr has an addition of a false /h/.) The last element is dalr meaning "valley" or "dale". Prior to 1918, the name was spelled "Hurdalen".
- Holy Trifon Skete, an Eastern Orthodox monastery of Orthodox church in Norway (Saint Nicolas commune). The monastery was established in 1985.
- Tore Ruud Hofstad (born 1979) - cross country skier
- Henning Stensrud (born 1977) - Ski jumper
- Robert Sørlie (born 1958) - dog sled racer and winner of Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race in 2003 and 2005
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Kommunevåpen" (in Norwegian). Hurdal kommune. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "Immigrants and Norwegian-born to immigrant parents, by immigration category, country background and percentages of the population". ssb.no. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- Russian flag in Norwegian monastery. Tidsskrift for Russisktalende i Norge Landsmann (Bergen). (Russian)
- Media related to Hurdal at Wikimedia Commons
- The dictionary definition of Hurdal at Wiktionary
- Akershus travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipal fact sheet from Statistics Norway