Hubballi-Dharwad are twin cities in Indian state of Karnataka. Hubballi-Dharwad is the second-largest conurbation in Karnataka after Bengaluru. While Dharwad is the administrative headquarters, the city of Hubballi, situated about 20 km south-east of Dharwad, is the commercial centre and business hub of North Karnataka.
The cities have a single municipal corporation called Hubli-Dharwad Municipal Corporation (HDMC).
Hubli - Dharwad municipal corporation
Hubli–Dharwad Municipal Corporation is municipal corporation for twin cities of Hubballi and Dharwad in Karnataka state in India. It was constituted in 1962 by combining two cities separated by a distance of 20 kilometers. The area covered by the corporation is 181.66 km². spread over 45 revenue villages. The population of the twin cities as per the 2011 census is 943,857 of which 475,980 are males and 467,877 are female.Total literates are 736,506 of which 389,290 are males while 347,216 are female. The average literacy rate of Hubballi and Dharwad city is 87.28 percent of which male and female literacy was 91.67 and 82.83.
The national level award winner from this place.
Jnanapeeth Award Winners
The Jnanpith Award is a literary award in India, it is one of the two most prestigious literary honours in the country.
- Dhara Bendre
- Girish Karnad
Padma Award Winners
President of India's Award for Sanskrit
- R S Panchamukhi
- V R Panchamukhi
North Karnataka is known for the melody of Hindustani music. Dharwad district is the place which produced national and international level musicians like Mallikarjun Mansur, Gangubai Hangal, and winner of the Bharat Ratna award, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi.
- Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
- Gangubai Hangal
- Mallikarjun Mansur
- Kumar Gandharva
- Basavaraj Rajguru
- Sawai Gandharva
- M. Venkatesh Kumar
Archaeologists and Indologists
- R S Panchamukhi
- Rai Saheb Ganpatrao Narayanrao Madiman (1879-1947) - Businessman and banker
- Gururaj Deshpande - Founder of Sycamore Networks
- Vijay Sankeshwar - Founder and owner of VRL Group
- Sudha Murthy - Co-founder of Infosys
- Nandan Nilekani - Co-founder of Infosys
- "School of Hindustani music to start its tune". Retrieved 2009-03-31.
- Mint (newspaper), The Wall Street Journal (December 18, 2009). "Gururaj Deshpande :The serial entrepreneur".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hubli.|
- Hubli-Dharwad travel guide from Wikivoyage