Location of Huéscar
Location in Spain
|Coordinates: 37°48′N 2°32′W / 37.800°N 2.533°W|
|Comarca||Comarca de Huéscar|
|• Mayor||Agustín Gallego Chillón|
|• Total||468 km2 (181 sq mi)|
|Elevation||953 m (3,127 ft)|
|• Density||18/km2 (46/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Dialing code||(+34) 958|
When the Iberian Peninsula was conquered by Rome, Osca was a town of the Turdetani, and incorporated into the Roman province of Hispania Baetica. However, purportedly ancient coins from this town are not genuine.
Between 1809 and 1981, Huéscar was at war with Denmark, as a result of the Napoleonic wars over Spain, where Denmark supported the French Empire. This official declaration of war was forgotten until it was discovered by a local historian in 1981, followed by the signing of a peace treaty on 11 November 1981 by the city mayor and the Ambassador of Denmark. Not a single shot was fired during the 172 years of war, and nobody was killed or injured.
The main landmark is the Collegiate Church of St. Mary the Major, designed by Diego de Siloé in the 16th century.
Huéscar is twinned with:
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "article name needed". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography. London: John Murray.