7519 North Paulina Street|
Chicago, Illinois 60626
|Coordinates||42°01′09″N 87°40′23″W / 42.019161°N 87.673093°W|
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Platforms||2 island platforms|
|Opened||May 16, 1908|
|Rebuilt||1921, 1964 (station house remodeled), 2000–03 (parking garage and bus terminal renovation), 2006–09 (station reconstruction)|
|Previous names||Howard Avenue|
|Passengers (2015)||2,209,310 8.1%|
|Rank||24 out of 143|
Howard is a station on the Chicago Transit Authority's 'L' system in Chicago, Illinois. It is the northern terminus of the Red Line and the southeastern terminus of the Yellow Line; it also serves the Purple Line, for which it is the southern terminus at non-rush hour times on weekdays and all day on weekends. Trains on the Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad (North Shore Line) also stopped at Howard from 1926 until that line was abandoned in 1963.
Howard station is located at 7519 North Paulina Street in Chicago, Illinois, at Paulina Street and Howard Street. The station is in the Rogers Park community area of Chicago, just south of the border with the city of Evanston. It is one of four 'L' stations in Rogers Park, the others being Jarvis, Morse, and Loyola.
The Chicago and Evanston Railroad constructed a route from Union Station in Chicago into Evanston in 1885 that became the Chicago and Evanston branch of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad (Milwaukee Road). In 1908, the Northwestern Elevated Railroad extended service north from Wilson station and into Evanston using the right of way of the Milwaukee Road. The Northwestern Elevated took over the operation of passenger services from the Milwaukee Road, rebuilt the stations along the line, and added new stations including one at Howard Avenue (now Howard Street). The station was rebuilt in 1921 when the line through the station was elevated onto an embankment. An escalator was added in 1964.
Between 2006 and 2009 the station was rebuilt. A new station house was constructed on Paulina Street providing an accessible path between the station platforms and the multi-story parking garage and bus terminal to the west of the station. The platforms and canopies were rebuilt, and the former main entrance on Howard Street entrance was renovated to be used as an auxiliary entrance to the new station. The station remained open throughout reconstruction, which was completed on March 20, 2009.
A Park and Ride with 634 spaces, and sheltered bicycle provided at this station. A large maintenance yard and rolling stock storage facility, known as Howard Yard, is just north of the station. Northbound Purple and Yellow Line trains pass through the yard on the way to their terminal, and Red Line trains travel from the northbound platform to the southbound platform via a balloon loop in the yard. Southbound Yellow Line and non-rush hour Purple Line trains terminate at this station using track 3, located between the Red Line tracks, south of the station.
Connecting bus routes
- 22 Clark
- 97 Skokie
- 147 Outer Drive Express
- 151 Sheridan (Sundays only)
- 201 Central/Ridge
- 205 Chicago/Golf
- 206 Evanston Circulator
- 215 Crawford/Howard
- 290 Touhy Avenue
Notes and references
- "Annual Ridership Report – 2015" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 13, 2016. Retrieved May 29, 2016.
- "Howard". CTA website. Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
- "The Chicago & Evanston". Chicago Daily Tribune. May 22, 1885.
- "The Northwestern Elevated Extension at Evanston, ILL". The Street Railway Journal. 31 (21): 842–849. May 23, 1908.
- "Electrification of the Evanston Suburban Line of the Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul". The Railway Age. 44 (14): 467. October 4, 1907.
- "Opening of Auxiliary Entrance at Howard Station Completes Station Renovations". CTA website. Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Howard (CTA).|
- Howard Station Page at Chicago-'L'.org
- Red Line Train schedule (PDF) at CTA official site
- Purple Line Train schedule (PDF) at CTA official site
- Yellow Line Train schedule (PDF) at CTA official site
- Howard Station Page on the CTA official site
- Howard Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Howard Street North Side Exit (former North Shore Line Entrance) from Google Maps Street View