Houston Baptist Huskies
|Houston Baptist Huskies|
|University||Houston Baptist University|
Western Athletic Conference (men's soccer only)
|Athletic director||Steve Moniaci|
|Football stadium||Husky Stadium|
|Basketball arena||Sharp Gymnasium|
|Baseball stadium||Husky Field|
|Softball stadium||Husky Field|
|Soccer stadium||Sorrells Field|
|Fight song||Get Up and Go, You Mighty Huskies|
Royal Blue and Orange|
Houston Baptist Huskies, also known as Houston Baptist, HBU or Huskies, refers to the sports teams of Houston Baptist University. HBU's official school colors are royal blue and orange. With the inception of the athletics program at the university in 1960 until 1990 the Huskies were a part of the NCAA. After playing for seventeen years as a member of the NAIA, the Huskies began play as an NCAA Division I team again in 2007 and became a full member of the NCAA for the 2011–12 academic year.
After one year of independent status in the NCAA, HBU joined the Great West Conference, and began play as a member in 2008 for all sports but basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, and women's soccer. These teams remained independent until the 2009–2010 season when they joined the other HBU teams. Men's soccer joined the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation since the Great West did not sponsor the sport.
On November 9, 2011, officials from the Southland Conference visited HBU in their expansion drive. On November 21, Houston Baptist accepted an invitation to join the Southland Conference joining July 1, 2013. The school started a football program in 2013 and began Southland play in 2014. There are also plans for a new basketball arena. With the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation dropping men's soccer after the 2012 season, the HBU team moved to the Western Athletic Conference, which began sponsoring the sport from 2013 onwards.
A member of the Southland Conference, Houston Baptist University sponsors teams in eight men's and nine women's NCAA sanctioned sports:
- * = HBU currently competes as an independent.
Venues and facilities
|Athletics Facilities Pictures|
- Staff (March 23, 2011). "Houston Baptist continues D-I march". Associated Press/ESPN. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "HBU Joins Great West Conference". HBU Athletics. 2008-07-10. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "FOX 26 Houston | KRIV". Myfoxhouston.com. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Houston Baptist University to Join Southland Conference on July 1, 2013". Southland Conference. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "WAC Adds Men's Soccer". WACsports.com. 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- "The Official Site of Houston Baptist University Huskies Athletics". Hbuhuskies.com. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Houston Baptist Huskies.|