Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain
Barmy Britain is a family stage show which is part of the Horrible Histories franchise. It is co-written by Terry Deary, Neal Foster & Ciaran McConville, directed by Neal Foster, and produced by The Birmingham Stage Company.
Part 1 was written in 2011 following a performance at The Lolibop festival in Regents Park. After receiving high praise at Regents Park the production was developed and opened at the Garrick Theatre London on February 14, 2012. Part 2 followed later opening on September 29 at The Garrick Theatre due to its predecessor's popularity. Part 2 has a running time of 105 minutes.
Director Neal Foster, said: "There’s so much British history to get through. We start with the Celts and end up in the Victorian period....Children love all the gory, naughty, the silly, the rude and disgusting and we make sure it’s full of all that....We bring history to life so it all helps you to understand and put yourself in their position because suddenly it’s very real and it’s there in front of you".
The show is set in London, and "features a finale whose sarcastic references to burger bars, bankers and internet dating leave its young audience in little doubt that whatever the crazed excesses of our ancestors, future generations will doubtless consider us every bit as loopy". The Guardian says it "ends on a serious note as it points out that it's unlikely that those who come after us will think we are any less barmy than we do those who came before". London Evening standard notes "there are clever spoofs of popular television programmes".
Horrible Histories Barmy Britain Part One
Horrible Histories Barmy Britain Part Two was met with similar praise from the press.
Barmy Britain One: Lauryn Redding (Original), Benedict Martin (Original), Neal Foster, Alison Fitzjohn, Gary Wilson, Simon Davies, Laura Crowhurst, Anthony Spargo.
Barmy Britain Two: Lauryn Redding (Original), Anthony Spargo (Original), Timothy Speyer, Neal Foster, Alison Fitzjohn
Both productions of Horrible Histories Barmy Britain have been directed by The Birmingham Stage Company Actor/Manager Neal Foster.
- Feast Creative. "The Birmingham Stage Company". Birminghamstage.com. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Feast Creative. "Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain - Part One and Part Two at the Garrick Theatre, London | Also on a UK Tour | presented by The Birmingham Stage Company". Barmy Britain. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Horrible Histories Part 2 Tickets and Dates". See Tickets. 2013-09-22. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Barmy Britain | Blackpool Grand Theatre". Blackpoolgrand.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Post Review. "Horrible Histories - Barmy Britain | Box Office Aberdeen". Aberdeenperformingarts.com. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Barmy Britain – live on stage!". Horrible Histories. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Jon Henley (2012-07-14). "Terry Deary: The man behind the Horrible Histories | Books". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Lyn Gardner. "Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain – review | Stage". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Fiona Mountford (2012-03-05). "Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain, Garrick - review - Theatre - Going Out - London Evening Standard". Standard.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Thomson, Olivia (2013-11-07). "Win a family mini-break to see Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain - Part Two!". Radio Times. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- The Daily Express
- The Daily Times
- the Daily Mail
- Time Out
- The American Magazine