Hong Kong Museum of History
Front entrance to the museum
|Location||100 Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong]|
|Coordinates||22°18′06″N 114°10′38″E / 22.30159°N 114.17711°E|
|Public transit access||Tsim Sha Tsui Station, East Tsim Sha Tsui Station, Hung Hom Station|
The Hong Kong Museum of History (Chinese: 香港歷史博物館; pinyin: Xiānggǎng Lìshǐ Bówùguǎn; Jyutping: Hoeng1 Gong2 Lik6 Si2 Bok3 Mat6 Gun2) is a museum which preserves Hong Kong's historical and cultural heritage. It is located next to the Hong Kong Science Museum, in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong].
The museum was established by the Urban Council, Hong Kong|Urban Council in July 1975 when the City Museum and Art Gallery was split into the Hong Kong Museum of History and Hong Kong Museum of Art; some of the Museum of History's collections were on display at the City Museum and Art Gallery's original 1962 location at the City Hall.
From 1975 to 1983, the Hong Kong Museum of History was housed in a 700 m2 rented space within Star House. In 1983, the Museum was moved to a temporary location (which now houses Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre) in Kowloon Park. It was moved to its present premises near Hong Kong Science Museum on Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui in 1998. It is currently managed by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department of Hong Kong Government.
The museum runs five branch museums: Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence at Shau Kei Wan, Lei Cheng Uk Han Tomb Museum at Sham Shui Po, and Law Uk Folk Museum at Chai Wan, Fireboat Alexander Grantham Exhibition Gallery inside the Quarry Bay Park and Dr. Sun Yat-sen Museum at Mid-levels in Central.
- Museums in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Heritage Museum
- List of buildings and structures in Hong Kong
- History of Hong Kong
- Heritage conservation in Hong Kong
- Government Records Service
- Hong Kong Archaeological Society
- Stokes-Rees, Emily (22 May 2014). "Recounting History. Constructing a national narrative in the Hong Kong Museum of History". In Knell, Simon; Aronsson, Peter; Bugge Amundsen, Arne. National Museums: New Studies from Around the World. Routledge. pp. 339–354. ISBN 9781317723141.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hong Kong Museum of History.|