Hobbys Yards, New South Wales
New South Wales
A sign greets visitors to Hobbys Yards
|Coordinates||33°42′S 149°19′E / 33.700°S 149.317°ECoordinates: 33°42′S 149°19′E / 33.700°S 149.317°E|
|Population||198 (2006 census)|
|Elevation||970 m (3,182 ft)|
|Location||40 km (25 mi) from Bathurst|
|LGA(s)||Blayney Shire Council|
Hobbys Yards is a small village in the Central West region of New South Wales, Australia, in Blayney Shire. It is situated within an hours driving time from the regional centres, townships, villages of Bathurst, Barry, Blayney, Neville and Trunkey Creek. At the 2006 census, Hobbys Yards had a population of 198 people. The village is named after Thomas Hobby who accompanied John Oxley on his exploration expeditions, or his son.
By road it is 18 minutes from Blayney, which contains the chambers of the local shire council, a public library, and the nearest supermarket, 40 minutes from Bathurst, which contains most facilities and whose postcode covers Hobbys Yards, and 10 minutes from Newbridge, the closest railway station (but currently without a passenger service) and pub. All of these roads are sealed but subject to frost and occasionally snow or at other times to flooding, and to the hazard of hitting a kangaroo particularly at or after dusk. The nearest service stations are also at Blayney, one of them offering 24-hour service.
- 9 Church Lane, St Peters Uniting Church (formerly Presbyterian) and its cemetery.
- 11 Church Lane, the 1881 school (now a private residence) and its garden.
The church cemetery is no longer open for new burials, but contains many graves of interest to historians. A new cemetery has been opened in Cemetery Lane, about two kilometres along Three Brothers Road towards Newbridge.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Hobbys Yards (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 7 October 2009.
- "Australian Pioneers". The Sun (Sydney, NSW). 22 August 1911.
- "Hobbys Yards". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 7 October 2009.
- All travel times according to Whereis
- Hobbys Yards Heritage Items - Blayney Shire Council PDF retrieved 19 April 2015