|Hermann Otto Erich Sasse|
17 July 1895|
Sonnewalde, Lausitz, Germany
9 August 1976 81) (aged|
|Occupation||Pastor, theologian, author|
Here We Stand|
This Is My Body
|Spouse(s)||Charlotte Margarete Naumann|
Born in Sonnewalde, Germany, Sasse began his career under the influence of the classical liberalism of his teachers, such as Adolf Harnack. He was ordained on 13 June 1920 in St Matthew's Church in Berlin and thereafter served several parishes in Brandenburg, He spent a year (1925-1926) as an exchange student at Hartford Theological Seminary in the United States, where he earned a master's degree. Sasse returned to Germany to take up a teaching position at University of Erlangen.
During this period, he became an active participant in the ecumenical movement. In the early 1930s, he emerged as a vocal critic of the National Socialist Party and Germany's new chancellor, Adolf Hitler. While he did not sign the 1934 Barmen Declaration, he did author, with Dietrich Bonhoeffer and others, the first draft of the lesser known Bethel Confession of 1933.
In 1949, Sasse emigrated to Adelaide, Australia, where he served on the faculty of Luther Seminary of the United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia (later merged into the Lutheran Church of Australia), retiring in 1969. He died in a fire at his home in 1976.
- This Is My Body: Luther's Contention for the Real Presence in the Sacrament of the Altar. (Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2001) ISBN 1-57910-766-4
- The Lonely Way: Selected Essays and Letters of Hermann Sasse: 1941-1976 (Concordia Publishing House, 2003) ISBN 0-7586-0004-6
- The Lonely Way: Selected Essays and Letters of Hermann Sasse: 1927-1939 (Concordia Publishing House, 2002) ISBN 0-570-01640-1
- Christ and His Church: Essays by Hermann Sasse: Vol. 1, Union and Confession (Office of the President LCMS © 1997
- Hermann Sasse and the Liturgical Movement by John T. Pless
- Selection of Prof. Dr Hermann Sasse's Writings(Confessional Lutherans Australia)
- Luther's Legacy to Christianity: We Are Beggars by Hermann Sasse
- Church and Lord's Supper by Hermann Sasse
- We Are Not Ashamed of Their Ardent Struggle by Hermann Sasse
- Hermann Sasse on "Lies" at the Wayback Machine (archived 22 November 2003)
- Herman Sasse on "Controversies in the Church" at the Wayback Machine (archived 22 November 2003)
- Preface to Vom Sakrament des Altars by Hermann Sasse
- History and content of the 1933 Bethel Confession