Location in Belgium
|Coordinates: 50°56′N 05°10′E / 50.933°N 5.167°ECoordinates: 50°56′N 05°10′E / 50.933°N 5.167°E|
|• Mayor||Danny Pauly (sp.a-spirit)|
|• Governing party/ies||sp.a, VLD|
|• Total||42.83 km2 (16.54 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||290/km2 (760/sq mi)|
|Area codes||013, 011|
Herk-de-Stad is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Limburg. On 1 January 2006, Herk-de-Stad had a total population of 11,795. The total area is 42.83 km² which gives a population density of 275 inhabitants per km².
Besides the village of Herk-de-Stad itself, the municipality contains the communities of Berbroek, Schulen and Donk. Donk contains two country houses, both of the eighteenth-century, Kasteel Hamont and Kasteel Landwijk, which stands on the site of a castle established in the 12th century.
There is an annual rock festival in the village, Rock Herk. There is a balanced mix of techno, drum 'n bass, electronica, alternative rock, post-rock, punk-rock, hardcore punk, metal, stoner, rock 'n roll, and related genres. Bands that played in the past include Stretch Arm Strong, Isis, Explosions in the Sky, New Wet Kojak, Karate, Add N to (X), Thin White Rope, Swervedriver, Spiritualized, Cosmic Psychos and Godflesh.
- Virginie Claes, Miss Belgium 2006
- Annemie Coenen, the singer of former Ian Van Dahl now known as AnnaGrace
- Godefroy Wendelin, astronomer
- Population per municipality as of 1 January 2016 (XLS; 397 KB)
- Media related to Herk-de-Stad at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website - only available in Dutch
- Rock Herk official site
- Herk-de-Stad.info Independent informal website - only available in Dutch
|Geetbets (VBR), Nieuwerkerken|