Tony Johnson, Conservative
|First past the post|
It is a relatively new council, formed on 1 April 1998 following the split of Hereford and Worcester back into two separate counties.
It is currently run by Conservatives. It has adopted the Leader and Cabinet constitutional model The current leader, since May 2013, is Cllr Tony Johnson, of the Conservative party, who has appointed a cabinet of 9 other councillors, each with a separate portfolio of Council activity, for which they take political responsibility.
Herefordshire Council has outsourced the following services:
- Human Resources & Finance - outsourced to a limited company named "Hoople", which is wholly owned by the Council
- Leisure - Halo Leisure (A not-for-profit trust which operates all leisure services)
- Social Housing - Herefordshire Housing (A not-for-profit trust which operates all housing and accommodation services)
- Commercial Services - Amey Wye Valley Services (A commercial venture which maintains roads, grounds, street lighting, etc.)
- Waste Management - Severn Waste Management (Responsible for bin collection, sorting and recycling)
- "Tony Johnson new Herefordshire Conservative leader". BBC Online. Retrieved 10 July 2015.