Henry Nevill, 3rd Marquess of Abergavenny
|The Marquess of Abergavenny|
Arms of the Marquess of Abergavenny
|Born||2 September 1854|
|Died||10 January 1938 83)(aged|
|Title||Marquess of Abergavenny|
|Tenure||13 October 1927 – 10 January 1938|
7th Earl of Abergavenny|
3rd Earl of Lewes
7th Viscount Nevill
|Successor||Guy Larnach-Nevill, 4th Marquess|
Maud Augusta Beckett-Denison
Mary Frances Hardinge (née Nevill)
Joan Marion Nevill|
Gilbert Reginald Nevill
Marguerite Helen Nevill
William Nevill, 1st Marquess of Abergavenny|
Caroline Vanden-Bempdé Johnstone
Neville was the second son of William Nevill, 1st Marquess of Abergavenny, by Caroline Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, daughter of Sir John Vanden-Bempde-Johnstone, 2nd Baronet. Born in Bramham, West Yorkshire and christened at St. Alban's Church, Frant, he was a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Territorial Army Reserves, a Major in the Sussex Imperial Yeomanry and a Deputy Lieutenant of Sussex. In 1881 he lived in Chiddingstone, Kent and in 1891 at Thornhill, Hammerwood, East Sussex. He succeeded to the marquessate in October 1927, aged 73, on the death of his brother, who died without issue.
Lord Abergavenny married Violet Streatfield, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Dorrien Streatfeild, on 12 September 1876. They had three children:
- Lady Joan Marion Nevill (1877–1952), she married the 4th Marquess Camden.
- Gilbert Reginald Nevill (1879–1891).
- Geoffrey Nevill (b./d. 1879).
After his first wife's death in December 1880 he married Maud Augusta Beckett-Denison, daughter of William Beckett-Denison, on 20 October 1886. They had one child:
- Lady Marguerite Helen Nevill (1887–1975)
After his second wife's death in July 1927 he married his first cousin, Mary Frances Nevill, daughter of the Honourable Ralph Pelham Neville and widow of Henry Hardinge, 3rd Viscount Hardinge, on 18 October 1928. This marriage produced no children. Lord Abergavenny died after falling from a horse during a fox hunt. As he died with no male heir, the marquessate passed to his nephew, Major Guy Larnach-Nevill, on his death. The Marchioness of Abergavenny died in October 1954, aged 85.
- "Lt.-Col. Henry Gilbert Ralph Nevill, 3rd Marquess of Abergavenny". The Weald. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- thepeerage.com Lt.-Col. Henry Gilbert Ralph Nevill, 3rd Marquess of Abergavenny
- "MARQUESS KILLED BY FOX HUNT FALL; Abergavenny, 84, Thrown When Horse Stumbles Over Wire at Groom Bridge, Sussex". The New York Times. 11 January 1938. p. 9. Retrieved 20 December 2009.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Nevill, 3rd Marquess of Abergavenny
- Portraits of Mary Frances (née Nevill), Marchioness of Abergavenny at the National Portrait Gallery, London
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Reginald William Bransby Nevill
|Marquess of Abergavenny
| Succeeded by|
Guy Temple Montacute Larnach-Nevill