Henry IX, Duke of Bavaria
|Duke of Bavaria|
Henry IX and his wife Wulfhilde
|Spouse(s)||Wulfhilde of Saxony|
|Noble family||House of Welf|
|Father||Welf I, Duke of Bavaria|
|Mother||Judith of Flanders|
13 December 1126 (aged 50–51)
Henry IX (1075 – 13 December 1126), called the Black, a member of the House of Welf, was Duke of Bavaria from 1120 to 1126.
Life and reign
Henry was the second son of Welf I, Duke of Bavaria and Judith of Flanders. As a young man, he administered the family's property south of the Alps. Through his marriage to Wulfhilde, daughter of Magnus, Duke of Saxony, he acquired part of the Billung property in Saxony.
In 1116, he joined Emperor Henry V's Italian campaign. He succeeded his brother Welf II, Duke of Bavaria, when the latter died childless in 1120.
In the royal election of 1125, he supported his son-in-law Frederick II, Duke of Swabia, but switched his allegiance to Lothair, Duke of Saxony, after Lothair promised that Gertrud, his only daughter and heir, would marry Henry's son Henry.
After Lothair won the election and banned Frederick, in 1126 Henry abdicated as duke of Bavaria and retired to the family foundation of Weingarten Abbey so that he did not have to take part in the prosecution of his son-in-law. Henry died shortly thereafter and was buried in Weingarten.
Henry and Wulfhilde had the following children:
- Judith, married Frederick II, Duke of Swabia
- Conrad, died 17 March 1126
- Henry X the Proud
- Sophia, married Berthold III, Duke of Zähringen and Leopold I, Duke of Styria
- Wulfhild, married Rudolf I, Count of Bregenz
- Mathilde, married Diepold IV, Margrave of Vohburg and Count Gebhard III of Sulzbach
- Adalbert, Abbot of Corvey
- ↑ Malcolm Barber, The Two Cities: Medieval Europe 1050–1320, 2nd edition, (Routledge, 2004), 193.
- Bernd Schneidmüller: Die Welfen. Herrschaft und Erinnerung (819–1252) (= Urban-Taschenbücher 465). Kohlhammer, Stuttgart etc., 2000, ISBN 3-17-014999-7, pp. 149 ff.
- Sigmund Ritter von Riezler (1880), "Heinrich IX", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 11, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 461–462
- Kurt Reindel (1969), "Heinrich IX. der Schwarze", Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB) (in German), 8, Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 343–343; (full text online)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henry IX of Bavaria.|
- Deed of Henry IX for Ranshofen Abbey, 30 July 1125, "digitalised image". Photograph Archive of Old Original Documents (Lichtbildarchiv älterer Originalurkunden). University of Marburg.
Henry IX, Duke of BavariaBorn: 1075 Died: 1126
|Duke of Bavaria
| Succeeded by|