Motto in English
|To illustrate illustrious virtue; to renovate the people; and to rest in the highest excellence|
Kaifeng, Henan, China|
34°48′45.8″N 114°21′49.3″E / 34.812722°N 114.363694°ECoordinates: 34°48′45.8″N 114°21′49.3″E / 34.812722°N 114.363694°E
|Campus||Two campuses: old (original) and new (opened in 2002)|
Henan University (simplified Chinese: 河南大学; traditional Chinese: 河南大學; pinyin: Hénán Dàxué) is one of the oldest public universities in China. HENU is located in Kaifeng, a famous historic city which was the capital of China during seven different dynasties. It is a comprehensive university with 11 branches of learning: agriculture, economics, education, engineering, history, law, liberal arts, management, medicine, philosophy, and science.
Founded in 1912, Henan University is one of the oldest universities in China. It was originally named the Preparatory School for Further Study in Europe and America. Afterwards it was renamed Zhongzhou University (1923), Henan Zhongshan University (1927), Provincial Henan University (1930), and National Henan University (1942). After the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949, the school was renamed Henan Normal College, then Kaifeng Normal College, and Henan Normal University. The name Henan University was restored in 1984.
As of April 2016, Henan University ran 94 undergraduate programs, 42 primary discipline Master’s programs, 174 sub-discipline Master’s programs, 18 professional Master’s programs, a primary discipline doctoral program and 18 doctoral programs and had 15 doctoral research centers. Among the university's 4,300-strong staff were 11 full-time and half-time academicians as well as 1,200 professors and associate professors. There were more than 60,000 students receiving a full-time education at HENU; among them were more than 10,000 postgraduates and nearly 300 overseas students.
Henan University Library was formally established in 1912. It claims to be one of the biggest university libraries in Henan Province, with 8 service departments, and 36 reading-rooms in which there are more than 6,000 seats. In 2014, it boasted a collection of more than 7.57 million items, of which 180,000 were hard-bound books of Chinese classics and 170,000 were foreign books.
Henan University comprises two campuses, MingLun (Chinese: 明伦) and JinMing (Chinese: 金明). The university covers a total area of about 660 acres with a gross floor area of more than 100 million square meters.
MingLun, the main and oldest campus of Henan University, is located in ShunHe District, Kaifeng. It named from an ancient Chinese word "明伦" meaning "Discipline, Modesty and Industry".
It contains the majority of the schools and key cultural heritages, namely the Big Auditorium (built in 1931, a magnificent palatial architecture in center of the MingLun campus), the monument of imperial examinations (built in the Song Dynasty, key cultural heritage) and History Museum (has many valuable historical relics).
The JinMing campus is located in JinMing District, Kaifeng. It includes the Key Laboratory of the PRC Ministry of Education.
Government and politics
- Liang Guanglie (梁光烈), Minister of PRC National Defense
- Wang Quanshu (王全书), Chairman of CPCC Henan Committee
- Yuan Baohua (袁宝华), President of Remin University of China
- Wang Guoquan (王国全), Ambassador of China to East Germany, Poland, Australia and Italy
- Hou Jingru (候镜如), Vice chairman of the CPPCC National Committee
- Li Pumin (李朴民), Secretary General of the National Development and Reform Commission
Humanities and social sciences
- Zhao Jiuzhang (赵九章), founder of Chinese dynamical meteorology
- Yang Tingbao (杨廷宝), architect, vice chairman of the International Union of Architects
- Li Chengsan (李承三), founder of Chinese river geomorphology
- Shi Zhangru (石璋如), famous archaeologist and historian
Natural sciences and mathematics
- Bing Zhi (秉志), founder of modern Chinese biology
- Zhang Suojiang (张锁江), Chinese chemist, academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Literature and art
- Deng Tuo (邓拓), Chinese poet, intellectual and journalist
- Yao Xueyin (姚雪垠), Chinese novelist, author of Li Zicheng
- Ma Ke (马可), Chinese musician, his masterpiece is "Funeral Music"
- ↑ "School Seal, Motto and Spirit (in Chinese)". Henan U. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- ↑ "The Motto Of Henan University". Henan U. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- ↑ "The Party Secretary and President". Henan U. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 "Henan U. Profile (in Chinese)". Henan U. April 2016. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- 1 2 "An Introduction to Henan University". Henan U. March 28, 2011. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- ↑ "About Henan University Library". HENU. 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- ↑ "Henan U. Library (in Chinese)". HENU Library. 2014-07-10. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- ↑ "History (in Chinese)". Henan U. April 2016. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- ↑ "Key cultural heritage site under state protection, Ⅴ－111". The State Administration of Cultural Heritage.
- ↑ "An Introduction to HENU history museum". Henan university.
- ↑ "Key Lab for Special Functional Materials, Ministry of Education". Henan university.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henan University.|
- HENU website (Chinese)
- HENU website (English) (last updated in 2011)