Location of Hegyeshalom
|Coordinates: 47°54′46″N 17°09′16″E / 47.91291°N 17.15444°ECoordinates: 47°54′46″N 17°09′16″E / 47.91291°N 17.15444°E|
|• Total||52.66 km2 (20.33 sq mi)|
|• Density||66.38/km2 (171.9/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Hegyeshalom (Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈhɛɟɛʃ.hɒlom]) is a village of approximately 3600 inhabitants in the Győr-Moson-Sopron county of Hungary, on the border with Austria and less than 15 km from the border with Slovakia.
A charter given by Andrew II of Hungary in 1217 mentions the settlement as Hegelshalm. After the Ottoman wars, the town was settled by German Jewish settlers. The name of Hegyeshalom is from the two Hungarian word = Hegyes + Halom. The word "Hegyes" means "mountainous" (or "piked") and the word "Halom" means "pile".
Until 21 December 2007, on 00:00 CET, Hegyeshalom was an important border crossing and control point between Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. However, all border controls ceased at that time as Hungary as well as Slovakia joined the Schengen Area.
Hegyeshalom is also a railway border crossing point along the main railway line between Vienna and Budapest and the railway line to Bratislava. The station has a plinthed MÁV Class 411 steam locomotive.
The romanesque church was built in the Árpád age. The 13th century church was renewed in gothic style in the 15th century. On the eastern side stands the gothic tower with eightfold basic walls, while the upper part of it is fourfold, built in the 18th century.
- In 1921 Terplán Zénó professor of the University of Technology in Budapest was born here.
- Street map (Hungarian)
- Hegyeshalom on the Vendégváró homepage
- Aerial photographs of Hegyeshalom
- Full Info on HU.Wikipedia(Hungarian)