10 April 1981|
Harry Hadden-Paton (born 10 April 1981) is a British stage and screen actor. He is perhaps best known for his television role as Herbert Pelham, 7th Marquess of Hexham in the award-winning television series Downton Abbey.
Hadden-Paton is the son of former Cavalry officer Nigel Hadden-Paton and the former Sarah Mellor. He has three sisters Polly, Clementine and Alice who is married to Nicholas van Cutsem, son of millionaire banker and horse breeder Hugh van Cutsem. He is the godson of Sarah, Duchess of York.
Since leaving LAMDA in 2006, Hadden-Paton has established himself as a leading stage actor. He was commended in the 2007 Ian Charleson Awards for his appearances in Romeo and Juliet at the Battersea Arts Centre and as John Worthing in The Importance of Being Earnest, directed by Peter Gill. His stand-out performances continued with Captain Jack Absolute in The Rivals at The Southwark Playhouse, as Hohenzollern in The Prince of Homburg at The Donmar Warehouse, and as Harry Villiers in the 2010 première of Posh at the Royal Court.
In 2011 he appeared as Teddy Graham in the Olivier Award-winning revival Flare Path at the Theatre Royal Haymarket and as Jackie Jackson in a film adaptation of The Deep Blue Sea, both marking the centenary of their author, the English playwright Terence Rattigan.
Following the success of Flare Path he has appeared as Michael Palin in the premiere of Steve Thompson's No Naughty Bits at the Hampstead Theatre, as Marlow in Jamie Lloyd's production of She Stoops to Conquer at The National Theatre, as Alsamero in The Young Vic's iconic production of The Changeling, and as Phillip in the hit revival of Alexi Kaye Campbell's The Pride at The Trafalgar Studios.
Film and TV
On television, he is best known for playing Bertie Pelham, the Marquess of Hexham, love interest of Lady Edith Crawley on Downton Abbey; their characters were married in the 2015 Christmas special that concluded the series. He has also starred in Midsomer Murders, The Amazing Mrs. Pritchard, Hotel Babylon, Silk, Waking the Dead, Drifters, Walter, and Grantchester.
He is also notable for appearances in the Oscar-winning La Vie en Rose (2007), The Deep Blue Sea (2011), The Hollow Crown (2012) and About Time (2013)
- La Vie en Rose (2007)... Doug Davis
- In the Loop (2008)... Civil Servant
- The Deep Blue Sea (2011)... Jackie Jackson
- Having You (2013)
- About Time (2013)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (2014)... Male Inquisitor (British Accent) (Video game role)
- Downton Abbey (2014)... Bertie Pelham
- The Crown (2016) ... Martin Charteris
- "Harry and his labour of love". 3 February 2009. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Official London Theatre "Harry Hadden-Paton" Check
|url=value (help). 18 January 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "Eton spawns a new breed of stage and screen luminaries". 21 January 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "No Naughty Bits – review". Guardian News and Media Limited. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Film Review: 'About Time'". Variety Media, LLC. 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2013-09-29.