One of the Harbors in Harlingen
Location in Friesland
|Coordinates: 53°11′N 5°25′E / 53.183°N 5.417°ECoordinates: 53°11′N 5°25′E / 53.183°N 5.417°E|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Roel Sluiter (PvdA)|
|• Total||387.67 km2 (149.68 sq mi)|
|• Land||25.03 km2 (9.66 sq mi)|
|• Water||362.64 km2 (140.02 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||630/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Harlingen ['hɑrlɪŋə(n)] ( pronunciation , West Frisian: Harns) is a municipality and a city in the northern Netherlands, in the province of Friesland at the Wadden Sea. Harlingen is an old town with a long history of fishing and shipping.
Harlingen received city rights in 1234.
Harlingen is served by two stations on the railway line from Leeuwarden, operated by Arriva: Harlingen Haven railway station and Harlingen railway station. There are some speculations that there will be a new railway from Anna Paulowna railway station across the Afsluitdijk to Harlingen Haven. From 1904 to 1935 there was a passenger service on the North Friesland Railway, freight being carried until January 1938. Rederij Doeksen operate ferries to the Wadden islands of Vlieland and Terschelling that depart from Harlingen.
The famous Dutch writer Simon Vestdijk was born in Harlingen and used to depict his hometown in his writings as Lahringen.
Arts and Culture
- Museum Het Hannemahuis
- Harlinger Aardewerkmuseum
- Harlingen, town hall
- Harlingen, view to the port
- Harlingen, monumental building
- Harlingen Harbor during the Tall Ship races in 2014
- "Het College van B&W" [The board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Harlingen. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 8861BD". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harlingen.|
- Harlingen travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Official website (English)
- streaming webcams (Dutch)
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Harlingen". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.