Hanken School of Economics
|Affiliations||EQUIS, AMBA, AACSB, PRME, EDAMBA, EIASM|
The Hanken School of Economics (Swedish: Svenska handelshögskolan, "Hanken"; literally "Swedish Commerce High School") is a Finnish business school located in Helsinki and Vaasa, Finland. The school was founded in 1909 as a private community college under the name Högre Svenska Handelsläroverket and was given its current name in 1927. Hanken has two campuses, one in Helsinki and one in Vaasa.
Hanken has five departments: Accounting and Commercial Law, Economics, Finance and Statistics, Management and Organisation, Marketing. The School also has a Centre for Languages and Business Communication.
Hanken currently offers eight master's degree programmes in English.
Hanken offers PhD education within all of its 10 majors. The degree corresponds to four years of full-time study. Approximately one year consists of course work while the remaining part is focused on thesis work.
Hanken MBA is an accredited executive MBA programme. There are different streams within the programme; Finance, International Management and Service and Relationship Marketing. The programme was awarded the AMBA accreditation in 2008. Hanken offers tailor-made courses to companies within the framework of Hanken & SSE Executive Education. Hanken & SSE Executive Education was founded in 2005 by Hanken and IFL at Stockholm School of Economics.
Hanken has approximately 70 partner universities for student exchange around the globe. Every year some 100 students from Hanken spend one semester or a full academic year abroad. Hanken also receives approximately 100 exchange students yearly.
Hanken researchers are engaged in basic, applied as well as commissioned research. Hanken excels in four main areas:
- Finance and Statistics
- Intellectual Property Law
- Management and Organisation
- Service and Relationship Marketing
Research and knowledge centres
- CEFIR – Centre for Financial Research
- CERS – Centre for Relationship Marketing and Service Management
- CIEL – The Centre of International Economic Law
- HCCG - Hanken Centre for Corporate Governance
- HECER – Helsinki Centre of Economic Research
- HUMLOG Institute – Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Research Institute
- IPR University Centre
- Lingua Hanken
- Björn Wahlroos – Professor & Banker
- Carl Haglund – Minister
- Elisabeth Rehn – former MP of the Swedish People's Party and the first woman as the Minister of Defence in Finland
- Hans Wind – Businessman and famous fighter pilot in World War II
- Harry Harkimo - Businessman
- Henrik Lax – Former member of the European Parliament
- Jan Vapaavuori – Minister and MP
- Mikael Lilius – CEO of Fortum
- Niklas Savander – Member of the Nokia Group Executive Board
- Lenita Airisto – Author, former Miss Finland and fashion model
- Petri Kokko – Former figure skater, current country manager for Google.
- Christian Grönroos – Relationship marketing professor named as a Legend in Marketing.
- Stefan Larsson - CEO of Ralph Lauren Corporation.
- Micke Paqvalén – Businessman
- Henrik Ehrnrooth – CEO of KONE.
Rankings & Accreditations
Hanken School of Economics was ranked as the 67th best Masters in Management program in 2015 by the Financial Times.
EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) is an international programme for the assessment of European education in economic and business sciences. Hanken was awarded the EQUIS accreditation in 2000. The accreditation was renewed in 2005. The accreditation proves that Hanken meets the highest requirements of quality in teaching, research, internationalisation and co-operation with the business community. Moreover, it indicates that Hanken creates and disseminates knowledge of the highest standard and that Hanken actively collaborates with its surrounding society.
Hanken was awarded AACSB accreditation in November 2015. Hence, Hanken obtained the Triple accreditation by being accredited by all EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB.
The Student union at Hanken (SHS) was founded in 1909 under the name Kamratföreningen Niord. Today the student union has some 2 000 members.
- "Hanken School of Economics". Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Study towards both a Bachelor and Master of Science in Economics
- "Business school detail - Association of MBAs". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Hanken MBA
- "Hanken & SSE Executive Education". Hanken & SSE Executive Education. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Competence Centres at Hanken
- "Hanken School of Economics at the Financial Times - FT.com". Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- EQUIS-accredited Business Schools
- "Error". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Hanken confirms its position as international top business school
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Swedish School of Economics and Business Administration.|
- Official site
- Hanken MBA homepage
- Svenska Handelshögskolans Studentkår – The Student Union's portal
- Hanken alumnnätverk