HMS Maeander (1840)

For other ships with the same name, see HMS Maeander.
HMS Maeander (c1850) by Oswald Walters Brierly
Name: HMS Maeander
Namesake: Maeander
Ordered: 13 September 1824
Builder: Chatham Dockyard
Laid down: February 1829
Launched: 5 May 1840
Completed: 17 January 1848
Fate: Hulked 1857. Wrecked at Ascension in July 1870.
General characteristics
Class and type: Seringapatam-class frigate
Tons burthen: 1,221 tons bm
Length: 133 ft (41 m) (keel)
Beam: 42 ft 5 in (12.93 m)
Propulsion: Sail
Sail plan: Full rigged ship
Complement: 321 (222 seamen, 39 boys and 60 marines)
  • 16 × 32-pounder carronades
  • 28 × 18-pounder carronades

HMS Maeander was a Seringapatam-class sailing frigate of the British Royal Navy. Her service included the suppression of piracy, the Russian War, and support for the suppression of slavery with the West Africa Squadron. She was wrecked in a gale in 1870.


Maeander was launched at Chatham Dockyard on 5 May 1840. From 1 November 1847 to 1851 her captain was Henry Keppel. United States Army Lieutenant George H. Derby, in his "Report of the Expedition of the U.S. Transport Invincible" notes that Keppel with the Maeander was in the Mexican port of Guaymas on 5 February 1851. The Maeander served in the East Indies, cooperating with James Brooke in the suppression of piracy, and then in Australia and the Pacific. On 14 July 1852 Captain Charles Talbot took command of Maeander. On 30 May 1854 Captain Thomas Baillie took command. She served in the White Sea in 1855 during the Crimean War.

Observing a volcanic eruption in the Indonesian seas (c1851)

On 2 December 1856, James Robert Drummond was appointed captain of Maeander, for coast guard service. In 1859 she was commanded by Commander Malcolm MacGregor.

In 1860 her armament was reduced to ten guns as part of her conversion into a stores' ship. She then joined the West Africa Squadron at Ascension Island as a replacement for HMS Tortoise.

From 1 November 1859 to July 1861 she was under the command of Captain William Farquharson Burnett. On 23 February 1861 Captain Frederick Lamport Barnard took command. From 24 December 1864 to January 1866 her commander was Captain Joseph Grant Bickford.


In July 1870 Maeander was wrecked in a gale. Her remains are at 14 metres in position 07°54′45″S 14°24′24″W / 7.91250°S 14.40667°W / -7.91250; -14.40667Coordinates: 07°54′45″S 14°24′24″W / 7.91250°S 14.40667°W / -7.91250; -14.40667, bows on to the shore. She lies on her port side and has opened up. Timber, copper sheathing, knees supporting her gun deck and the tiller have been located.


A memorial tablet to the men of Maeander killed between 1848-51 can be seen at St Ann's Church, HMNB Portsmouth.[1]


  1. "Memorials and Monuments in St Ann's Church, Portsmouth (HMS Maeander)". 2010. Retrieved 15 January 2012.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 4/15/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.