Dungeon and basse court of the Château de Guise
|Coordinates: 49°54′03″N 3°37′42″E / 49.9008°N 3.6283°ECoordinates: 49°54′03″N 3°37′42″E / 49.9008°N 3.6283°E|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Hugues Cochet|
|Area1||16.13 km2 (6.23 sq mi)|
|• Density||320/km2 (830/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||02361 / 02120|
91–157 m (299–515 ft) |
(avg. 97 m or 318 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The ruins of the medieval castle of Guise, seat of the Dukes of Guise, are located in the commune.
Guise is the agricultural centre of the northern area of Aisne.
Over a period of 20 years, beginning about 1856, Jean-Baptiste Godin built Le Familistère (the Social Palace), an industrial and communal residential complex that was a separate community within Guise. It expressed many of his ideas about developing social sympathy through improved housing and services for workers and their families, influenced by the ideas of the philosopher Charles Fourier. In 1880 Godin created a cooperative association by which the workers owned and managed the complex. This continued until 1968.
On the 29th of August 1914 the Battle of St. Quentin (1914) was fought in and around the town. A memorial in Guise celebrates this event.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guise.|