|Comune di Grammichele|
Location of Grammichele in Italy
|Coordinates: 37°13′N 14°38′E / 37.217°N 14.633°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Catania (CT)|
|• Mayor||Salvatore Canzoniere(since June 16, 2013)|
|• Total||30 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||520 m (1,710 ft)|
|Population (31 December 2010)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Michele Arcangelo|
|Saint day||May 8|
Grammichele (Sicilian: Grammicheli, Greek: Echetle (meaning "plowshare"); Latin: Echetla, Ochula; Medieval: Occhiolà) is a town and comune in the province of Catania in Sicily, southern Italy. It is located at the feet of the Hyblaean Mountains, some 13 kilometres (8 mi) from Caltagirone.
The town was built in 1693, after the destruction by an earthquake of the old town of Occhialà, located to the north of the modern Grammichele. Occhialà, which, on account of the similarity of name, is generally identified with Echetla, a frontier city between Syracusan and Carthaginian territory in the time of Hiero II, and which appears to have been originally a Sicel city in which Greek civilization prevailed from the 5th century onwards. Being laid out on a hexagonal street plan, it is one of several Val di Noto towns with distinctive layouts.
On July 15, 1943, the 1st Canadian Infantry Division fought its first battle against German troops during the Battle of Sicily at Grammichele. The name of the town was later granted as a Battle Honour to three regiments of the Canadian Forces.
To the east of Grammichele a cave shrine of Demeter, with fine votive terracottas, has been discovered. Other sights include the Mother Church, dedicated to St. Michael, and the church of the Calvary.