Location in Ireland
|Coordinates: 51°55′N 8°24′W / 51.917°N 8.400°WCoordinates: 51°55′N 8°24′W / 51.917°N 8.400°W|
|Elevation||44 m (144 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
The greater Glanmire area encompasses the communities of Riverstown (Baile Roisín), Brooklodge (Cill Ruadháin) and Sallybrook (Áth na Sailí). Upper Glanmire includes White's Cross, Sarsfields Court, Ballyphilip, Ballinaparson, Coolgreen, Templemichael and Buck Leary's Cross.
Glanmire has a long history that dates back to early Christian Ireland. The stone bridge located in Riverstown is one of the oldest constructions in Cork. At the parish church located on a hill above the village, Sarah Curran, lover of the hanged Robert Emmet married Captain Henry Sturgeon in 1805.
In the 1800s Glanmire was a small yet industrialised village with woolen factories and mills lining the banks of the river Glashaboy. The town expanded substantially in the late 20th century.
There are six primary schools serving the Glanmire area. These include Scoil na nÓg (An Irish Language, boarding and day boarding Primary School, founded in 1958), Scoil Naomh Micheál (Saint Michael's - Upper Glanmire), Scoi Naomh Iosaf (Saint Joseph's - Riverstown), Scoil Chill Ruadháin (Brooklodge Primary School), New Inn and Gaelscoil Uí Drisceoil which opened in 2006. Gaelscoil Uí Drisceoil opened in September 2011.
Glanmire has two secondary schools. Glanmire Community College (GCC), established in 1997, is located on a twelve-acre site. The college accommodates a pupil enrolment of approximately one thousand. The Coláiste an Phiarsaigh, opened in 1973, is located in Glanmire Village. It holds around 550 students - both day students and weekly boarders. Coláiste an Phiarsaigh is part of the Gaelachas Teoranta Organisation.
Gaelachas Teo. hosts three Coláiste Samhraidh each year during June and July and August. The Coláistí Samhraidh accommodate students between the ages of 10 and 14 from all around the country.
There are nearly eight hundred Irish speakers in the Glanmire area, with 250 pupils attending the Gaelscoil and 550 students in the Gaelcholáiste. There is also a "mini-Gaeltacht" in Ard Bharra whose founders include the well-known traditional musician Tomás Ó Canainn. "The Miller of Glanmire" is a beautiful jig named for the town. (See Matt Cranitch's book "Irish Fiddle Tunes.
Glanmire Parish extends from midway on Tivoli dual carriageway to within three miles of Watergrasshill, thence to White's Cross via Templemichael.
There are two Catholic churches in the Glanmire: Saint Michael's church in Upper Glanmire and St Joseph's in Riverstown. St. Michael's was dedicated and reopened for worship in 1808 following major restructuring – the same year as the Cathedral in Cork was dedicated. The bi-centenary of this church was celebrated in 2008 and a special Mass of Thanksgiving was celebrated on Saturday, 11 October 2008, with Bishop John Buckley as Principal Celebrant. St. Joseph’s is the Glanmire Parish Church and was dedicated in 1837. Both St. Joseph’s and St. Michael’s are built on or near the sites of pre-penal times churches.