Girolamo da Carpi
Girolamo Da Carpi (1501 – 1 August 1556) was an Italian painter and decorator who worked at the Court of the House of Este in Ferrara. He began painting in Ferrara, by report apprenticing to Benvenuto Tisi (il Garofalo); but by age 20, he had moved to Bologna, and is considered a figure of Early Renaissance painting of the local Bolognese School.
He trained in the studio of a local painter who showed the influence of Lorenzo Costa and Raphael. In the 1520s Girolamo visited Rome and Bologna and was inspired by the Mannerist style of Giulio Romano. Geographically and stylistically he straddles the various influences.
He returned to Ferrara and collaborated with Dosso Dossi and Garofalo among others on commissions for the d’Este family. Girolamo became the architect to Pope Julius III in 1550 and supervised the remodeling of the Vatican's belvedere. Returning to Ferrara, he was charged of the enlargements of the Castello Estense.
Da Carpi's paintings include a Descent of the Holy Spirit in the church of St Francis at Rovigo; a Madonna; an Adoration of the Magi and a St. Catharine at Bologna; and a St George and St Jerome at Ferrara.
Among the pupils of Girolamo da Carpi were Bartolomeo Faccini and Ippolito Costa.
- Adoration of the Magi, (1531; San Martino, Bologna)
- Marriage of Saint Catherine, (1532–34; Santissimo Salvatore, Bologna)
- St. Longinus, (1531)
- Pentecost, (San Francesco, Rovigo)
- Opportunity, (1541; Gemäldegalerie, Dresden)
- Patience, (1541; Gemäldegalerie, Dresden)
- Erroneously spelled Giralomo in 1911 edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica.
- Dizionario dei pittori dal rinnovamento delle belle arti fino al 1800, Volume 1, by Stefano Ticozzi, page 182.
- Ticozzi, page 141.
- Freedberg, Sydney J. (1993). Pelican History of Art, ed. Painting in Italy, 1500-1600. Penguin Books Ltd.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Carpi, Girolamo da". Encyclopædia Britannica. 5 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 397.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Girolamo da Carpi.|
- Works by Girolamo da Carpi at Census of Ferrarese Paintings and Drawings