Gion-Shijō Station entrance, March 2008
Higashiyama, Kyoto, Kyoto|
|Coordinates||35°00′14″N 135°46′19″E / 35.00381°N 135.771977°ECoordinates: 35°00′14″N 135°46′19″E / 35.00381°N 135.771977°E|
|Operated by||Keihan Electric Railway|
|Line(s)||Keihan Main Line|
|Previous names||Shijō (until 2008)|
Gion-Shijō Station is served by the Keihan Main Line. All types of passenger trains, from local to limited express, stop at the station.
The station in a double track section has one underground island platform with two tracks. Stairs, escalators and elevators connect the platform on the second basement to the first basement concourse and then to the ground level.
|1||■ Keihan Main Line||for Sanjō and Demachiyanagi|
|2||■ Keihan Main Line||for Chūshojima, Hirakatashi, Yodoyabashi, and Nakanoshima|
The station opened on October 27, 1915. The tracks and the station facilities were moved to the underground on May 24, 1987. The station was originally named Shijō Station (四条駅) after Shijō Street as it is located where the railway along the bank of the Kamo River crosses Shijō Street.
Since 1981, there had been two stations along Shijō Street named Shijō; the other is on the Karasuma Line subway. At last, the Keihan station was renamed Gion-Shijō Station on October 19, 2008, the date of opening of the Nakanoshima Line.
|Keihan Main Line|
Commuter Sub Express (only running for Yodoyabashi or Nakanoshima in the morning on weekdays)
Commuter Rapid Express (only running for Nakanoshima in the morning on weekdays)
|Shichijō||Rapid Limited Express
(on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays during the tourist seasons and new year period)
- Statistics of Kyoto City(in Japanese)
- Keihan Electric Railway (November 6, 2007). 京都市内の京阪線3駅の駅名を変更します (PDF) (in Japanese). Retrieved 6 November 2007.
- Keihan Electric Railway. 中之島線とは？ (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2008-06-10. Retrieved 2008-06-22. (Nakanoshima Line to open October 19, 2008)
- Station information by Keihan Electric Railway
- Okeihan.net entry on Gion-Shijō Station by Keihan Electric Railway (Japanese)