1 June 1929|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Institutions||Institute for Advanced Study|
|Main interests||Medieval History|
Giles Constable (born June 1, 1929 in London) is a Medieval Historian. Constable is mainly interested in the religion and culture of the 11th and 12th centuries, in particular the abbey of Cluny and its abbot Peter the Venerable.
Constable is the son of the art historian William George Constable.
Education and career
Constable got his A.B. at Harvard University in 1950 and his Ph.D. at the same school in 1957. He taught at the University of Iowa from 1955 to 1958 and at Harvard University from 1958 to 1984. He was the Henry Charles Lea-Professor of Medieval History at Princeton University from 1966 to 1977. From 1977 to 1984 he was Director of the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library. He joined the faculty of the Institute for Advanced Studies as a Medieval History Professor in the School of Historical Studies in 2003.
He is a member of the Medieval Academy of America and the American Philosophical Society, the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres , the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, the British Academy and the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei. He was a member of the scientific council of the Revue d'Histoire Ecclésiastique.
- The Abbey of Cluny : A Collection of Essays to Mark the Eleven-Hundredth Anniversary Of Its Foundation (2010), ISBN 3643107773
- Three Treatises from Bec on the Nature of Monastic Life (2008), ISBN 1442689420
- Cluny from The Tenth to the Twelfth Centuries : Further Studies (2000), ISBN 0860788156
- The Reformation of the Twelfth Century (1996), ISBN 0521305144
- Three Studies in Medieval Religious and Social Thought (1995), ISBN 0585039704
- Monks, Hermits, and Crusaders in Medieval Europe (1988), ISBN 0860782212
- Culture and Spirituality in Medieval Europe (1988), ISBN 0860786099
- Medieval Monasticism : A Select Bibliography (1976), ISBN 0802022006
- Letters and Letter-Collections (1976), OCLC 4641316
- Monastic Tithes : From Their Origins to the Twelfth Century (1964), OCLC 21932950
- Home page of Giles Constable at the Institute for Advanced Study
- Curriculum vitae of Giles Constable at the Institute for Advanced Study