Location of Gherăseni
|Coordinates: RO 45°1′N 26°47′E / 45.017°N 26.783°ECoordinates: RO 45°1′N 26°47′E / 45.017°N 26.783°E|
|Component villages||Gherăseni, Cremenea, Sudiţi|
|• Mayor||Sava Stroe (since 2004) (PRM)|
|• Total||56.41 km2 (21.78 sq mi)|
|• Density||64/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|Postal code||127245; 127246|
|Website||Gherăseni mayor (Romanian)|
The name Gherăseni is connected to the name of Ioan (Emanuil) Gerassy, a Greek who had obtained a licence on the boyar monopoly of manufacturing alcoholic beverages in Bucharest during the rule of Alexandru II Ghica (1834-1842). He owned Câmpineanca, Silişte and Rotunda estates, which he had bought in the late 1820s.
Rotunda estate included a large village which featured an Orthodox church. Gerassy managed to convince the inhabitants of that village to move to the present-day location of Gherăseni, 1 km away from the Cremenea village. The first people to settle in the new location apparently arrived around 1829. The Gerassy family also built a new church and a school on the spot.
In 1905, financial difficulties forced Nicolae Gerassy, Ioan's son, to sell the estates to one Stan Vasile.