For other buildings called "Gewandhaus", see cloth hall.
- The first concert hall was constructed in 1781 by architect Johann Carl Friedrich Dauthe inside the Gewandhaus, a building used by cloth (garment) merchants.
- The second Gewandhaus was designed by Martin Gropius. It opened on 11 December 1884, and had a main concert hall and a chamber music hall. It was destroyed in the fire-bombings of World War II between 1943 and 1944.
- The third Gewandhaus on Augustusplatz opened on 8 October 1981, two hundred years after the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra moved into the original hall.
The hall contains a concert organ: Schuke, Potsdam IV-92-6638.
- First Gewandhaus (1781).
- Second Gewandhaus (1884).
- Kurt Masur lays the foundation stone of the current Gewandhaus
- Third Gewandhaus (2011).
- Leo Beranek, Concert Halls and Opera Houses: Musics, Acoustics, and Architecture, Springer, 2004, page 280. ISBN 0-387-95524-0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neues Gewandhaus (Gewandhaus No. 3).|
- History of the Gewandhaus from the official site