Gerhard VI, Count of Oldenburg
|Gerhard VI "the Quarrelsome"|
|Count of Oldenburg|
Coat of arms of Gerhard VI
|Spouse(s)||Adelheid of Tecklenburg|
|Noble family||House of Oldenburg|
|Father||Dietrich of Oldenburg|
|Mother||Helvig of Schauenburg|
|Died||22 February 1500 (aged 69–70)|
Gerhard was the third son of Dietrich of Oldenburg and his wife, Helvig of Schauenburg. His eldest brother succeeded their father as Christian VI but was elected King Christian I of Denmark in 1448, therefore passing on the county to his brothers in 1450. In 1440–1463 Gerhard VI ruled in Delmenhorst as regent and in 1464–1482 (after the death of his brother Maurice) as the guardian of his nephew Jakob. He was constantly at war with Gerhard III, Prince-Archbishop of Bremen, and Frisians. In 1483 Gerhard was compelled to abdicate in favor of his sons, and he died whilst on a pilgrimage in the Rhône valley.
Family and children
In 1453 he married with Adelheid of Tecklenburg (c. 1435 – 2 March 1477), daughter of Otto VII, Count of Tecklenburg. They had eleven children:
- Gerhard of Oldenburg (1454–1470)
- Dietrich of Oldenburg (c. 1456 – 1463)
- Adolph, Count of Oldenburg-Delmenhorst (1458 – 17 February 1500)
- Christian of Oldenburg (1459 – 27 May 1492)
- John V, Count of Oldenburg (1460 – 10 February 1526)
- Otto of Oldenburg (d. 17 February 1500), a canon of Bremen Cathedral Chapter
- Elisabeth of Oldenburg (1468 – 12 September 1505)
- Anna of Oldenburg (1469 – 26 September 1505)
- Irmgard of Oldenburg; married Hero Oomkens von Esens, Earl of Harlingerland.
- Hedwig of Oldenburg (d. 22 February 1502); married in 1498 Edo Wimken II of Jever (1468 - 19 April 1511); had issue, including Maria of Jever.
- Adelheid of Oldenburg (d. 1513); married in 1503 Dietrich III of Plesse.
Gerhard VI, Count of OldenburgBorn: 1430 Died: 22 February 1500
|Count of Oldenburg
| Succeeded by|