Father Gerard Dowling is an Australian Catholic priest and radio personality.
He and his twin sister Mary Simpson were born in Essendon in 1932. He has served in several parishes in Melbourne, Australia. Dowling is a well-known priest who trained in social work and he appears on a weekly radio counseling program on Sport 927.
Dowling has authored several books. He is also an avid supporter of the North Melbourne Football Club and is the author of The North Story, a detailed history of the Club, published in 1997.
He began writing for The Advocate in 1976 and later Kairos in 2000, both Catholic news journals based in Melbourne. Since 1963 he has worked as a counselor with CatholicCare (formerly Centacare). In 1985, Father Dowling received a Medal of the Order of Australia.
Father Dowling was the Dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Melbourne until 2003 and is known by many for his pastoral outreach. He celebrated his 50th Golden Jubilee in July 2008 and is currently the priest-in-residence at St Cecilia's in Glen Iris.
- "Talkback radio program turns 30". The Age. 7 September 2003.
- Dowling, Gerard (1997), The North Story: The History of the North Melbourne Football Club, 2nd Ed., Playright Publishing, Sydney. ISBN 0-949853-56-9 National Library of Australia index page
- "We have come a long way". Make-A-Wish. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- "Face to Face with Fr Gerard Dowling OAM". Kairos Catholic Journal. Melbourne Archdiocese. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- Baker, Sarah (Spring 2009). "Lending an ear". Australian Catholics. 17 (4): 8–9.