George VI Sound
George Sound within Antarctica
|Coordinates||71°00′S 68°00′W / 71.000°S 68.000°WCoordinates: 71°00′S 68°00′W / 71.000°S 68.000°W|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
George VI Sound or Canal Jorge VI or Canal Presidente Sarmiento or Canal Seaver or King George VI Sound or King George the Sixth Sound is a major bay/fault depression, 300 miles (483 km) long in the shape of the letter J, which skirts the east and south shores of Alexander Island, separating it from Palmer Land, in the southern portion of the Antarctic Peninsula and the English Coast. Various lakes are adjacent to the sound, these lakes receive large amounts of ice flowing from George VI Ice Shelf into the mouth of these lakes. Some of these include Hodgson Lake, Moutonnee Lake and Ablation Lake. Several glaciers also flow eastward into the sound from the east interior of Alexander Island, the vast majority of these glaciers are situated south of Planet Heights, where all of these glaciers are named after moons, satellites and planets of the solar system in association with nearby Planet Heights which was named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee (UK-APC) in 1977.
George VI Sound is located at 71°00′S 68°00′W / 71.000°S 68.000°W. George VI Sound is largely covered by the George VI Ice Shelf and the ice varies from about 15 miles (24 km) to more than 40 miles (64 km) wide. George VI Sound was discovered by Lincoln Ellsworth who flew over it in 1935. George VI Sound was explored by the British Graham Land Expedition (BGLE) in 1936-1937 and by the United States Antarctic Service (USAS) in 1940. George VI Sound was named by John Riddoch Rymill, leader of the BGLE, for George VI, King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.