For other uses, see George Marsden (disambiguation).
George M. Marsden|
February 25, 1939
Yale University |
Westminster Theological Seminary
University of Notre Dame |
Duke Divinity School
George M. Marsden (born February 25, 1939) is an historian who has written extensively on the interaction between Christianity and American culture, particularly on Christianity in American higher education and on American Evangelicalism. He is best known for his award-winning biography of the New England clergyman and theological writer Jonathan Edwards, a prominent theologian of Colonial America.
He attended Haverford College, Westminster Theological Seminary, and Yale University, finishing with a Ph.D. in American history under Professor Sydney Ahlstrom. He taught at Calvin College (1965–1986), Duke Divinity School (1986–1992), and as Francis A. McAnaney Professor of History at The University of Notre Dame (1992–2008).
- 2004 Bancroft Prize for Jonathan Edwards: A Life.
- 2004 Merle Curti Award
- 2005 University of Louisville Grawemeyer Award in Religion
- Fundamentalism and American Culture (2nd ed.). New York: Oxford University Press. 2006 . p. 307. ISBN 0-19-503083-4.
- Jonathan Edwards: A Life. New Haven: Yale University Press. 2003. p. 640. ISBN 0-300-10596-7.
- The Outrageous Idea of Christian Scholarship. New York: Oxford University Press. 1997. p. 160. ISBN 0-19-512290-9.
- Reforming Fundamentalism: Fuller Seminary and the New Evangelicalism. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. 1995. p. 342. ISBN 0-8028-0870-0.
- The Soul of the American University: From Protestant Establishment to Established Nonbelief. New York: Oxford University Press. 1994. p. 462. ISBN 0-19-507046-1.
- Understanding Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. 1991. p. 208. ISBN 0-8028-0539-6. (A collection of previously published essays.)
- A Short Life of Jonathan Edwards (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2008) (ISBN 9780802802200). (A concise biography, based on but not merely an abridgment of the author's 2003 prize-winning biography of the theologian.)
- Daren Dochuk, Thomas S. Kidd, and Kurt W. Peterson (eds.), American Evangelism: George Marsden and the State of American Religious History. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 2014.
- Marsden's faculty page at Notre Dame
- George Marsden's personal page at Notre Dame
- "George Marsden Discusses His "Short Life of Jonathan Edwards."
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 4/18/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.