George Carpenter, 2nd Baron Carpenter
|The Right Honourable|
The Lord Carpenter
abt 26 August 1702|
Ocle Pychard, Herefordshire, England
12 July 1749|
Grosvenor Square, Middlesex, England
|Spouse(s)||Lady Elizabeth Petty|
Carpenter was the only son of George Carpenter, 1st Baron Carpenter by Alice (née Caulfield) of Ocle Pychard, Herefordshire. He was born at Livers Ocle in Ocle Pychard, 7 miles north-east of Hereford.
- George Carpenter (1723–1762), later 3rd Baron Carpenter, who was made Earl of Tyrconnell and Viscount of Carlingford in 1761.
- Hon. Alicia Maria Carpenter (abt 1726 – 1 June 1794) who later married 12 March 1750 Charles Wyndham, 2nd Earl of Egremont, MP. In 1761 she became the 1st Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Charlotte. She married secondly Count Hans Moritz von Brühl.
Carpenter gained the rank of Cornet in 1704 in the service of the 1st Regiment of Horse Guards. He became Captain in 1712 and Lieutenant Colonel of the Regiment in 1715. He was Member of Parliament for Morpeth from 1717 to 1727 as a Whig and for Weobley between 1741 and 1747. He was invested as a Fellow of the Royal Society on 5 June 1729.
He succeeded his father in the barony on 10 February 1731. This was an Irish peerage which allowed him to remain a member of the House of Commons. On 23 May 1733 he inherited the estate of Holme in Dilwyn, Herefordshire from his second cousin, Thomas Carpenter. He died 12 July 1749 at Grosvenor Square, London. He was buried in family vault at Owlesbury Church. His will, dated 31 December 1748, was probated on 24 July 1749. His only surviving son George succeeded in the barony.
Carpenter Street in Brunswick, Georgia is named after George Carpenter, 2nd Baron Carpenter, in honour of his role as one of the original trustees of the Colony of Georgia.
Coat of arms
Lord Carpenter's Arms appear to be of French or Norman origin, "Paly of six, argent and gules, on a chevron azure, 3 cross crosslets or." Crest, on a wreath a globe in a frame all or. Supporters, two horses, party-perfess, embattled argent and gules. Motto: "Per Acuta Belli" (Through the Asperities of War). These arms descend from John Carpenter, the younger (abt. 1372 – 1442) who was the noted Town Clerk of London during the reigns of King Henry V & King Henry VI.
These arms are often referred to as the Hereford arms, named for the later ancestral home of the Carpenter Family in Hereford, England. The Crest, supporters and motto apparently have changed several times over the centuries.
Sir William Boyd Carpenter (1841–1918), an English clergyman of the Established church of England, Bishop of Ripon, afterwards a Canon of Westminster and Chaplain to the reigning sovereign of England, wrote in a letter dated 7 August 1907 that his family bore the Hereford Arms. Sir Noel Paton, upon painting the family arms, informed him that the supporters were originally a round-handled sword, which in drawing over time became shortened, until nothing but the cross and globe were left beneath it. Those Hereford Arms were used by "John Carpenter, town clerk of London, who died 1442 A. D." His grandson John Boyd-Carpenter, Baron Boyd-Carpenter (1908–1998), continued the arms into the new century by passing it down to his son, Thomas Boyd-Carpenter, who was himself knighted after a military career as a Lieutenant-General and for public service.
- "The Life of Lord George Carpenter", published 1736 in London.
- Carpenter, John R. Carpenters' Encyclopedia of Carpenters 2009 (DVD format). George Carpenter the 2nd is RIN 11686.
- Carpenter, Amos B. A Genealogical History of the Rehoboth Branch of the Carpenter Family in America, a.k.a. "The Carpenter Memorial", Press of Carpenter & Morehouse, Amherst, Mass., 1898, reprinted and duplicated by many organizations in print, CD, and DVD formats. See page 829.
- Note: This 900-plus page tome was remarkable for its day, but over the last century, many corrections have been made in the genealogies it contains. The best compiled corrections to this work and related lines are in the "Carpenters' Encyclopedia of Carpenters 2009", data DVD format.
- Lundy, Darryl (2006). "George Carpenter, 2nd Baron Carpenter of Killaghy". thepeerage.com – Person Page – 300. thepeerage.com webpage. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Burke, Bernard, Sir, A Genealogical History of the Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited and Extinct Peerages of the British Empire
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "M" (part 3)
- Stephens, H. M. 'Carpenter, George, first Baron Carpenter of Killaghy (1657–1732)', rev. Timothy Harrison Place, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edition, May 2008, accessed 12 April 2009
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "W" (part 2)
- When the Council of the Royal Province of Georgia convened in the capital city of Savannah in 1771 to lay off the City of Brunswick, they named Carpenter Street after "George Carpenter, one of the Trustees"per Margaret Davis Cate: Our Todays and Yesterdays, A Story of Brunswick and the Coastal Islands, Glover Bros., Inc., Brunswick, Ga., 1930, http://www.glynngen.com/mdc/oty/page1.htm, thus specifying the 2nd Baron Carpenter, who had been named a trustee in 1732 when the Georgia Charter was signed by King George II on 21 April 1732 – see Ulrich Bonnell Phillips: "New Light Upon the Founding of Georgia" in The Georgia Historical Quarterly, Vol. VI, No. 4, December 1922, pp. 5–12.
- Historical Manuscripts Commission, UK National Register of Archives, George Carpenter (1657–1732) 1st Baron Carpenter Lieutenant General, HMC.gov.uk
- Utah Genealogical and Historical Magazine; vol. 16, Number 2, April 1925, Page 60-70, article by J. Hatton Carpenter "The Carpenter Family of England and the United States."
- The Hereford Coat of Arms described should not be confused with the Arms of Bishop Richard Carpenter (c1450s?-1503) presented in the "Visitations of the County of Oxford taken in 1566, 1574, and 1634, published in 1871, which describe the arms displayed in the buildings at the University in Oxford – "In the Lyberarye of Baliall College." – as recorded by the officials performing the visitations in those years. The Visitations describe the arms of Richard Carpenter (theologian) as: "Paly of nine Gu. and Az. on a chevron Arg. surmounted by a mitre Or, three cross crosslets of—nine pales alternating red and blue, with a silver chevron bearing three gold cross-crosslets. Visitations of the County of Oxford taken in 1566, 1574, and 1634, published in 1871.
- G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910–1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, UK: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume III, page 46, 54 & 126.
- Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 151.
|Parliament of Great Britain|
The Viscount Castlecomer
|Member of Parliament for Morpeth
With: Viscount Morpeth
| Succeeded by|
Sir John Buckworth, Bt
|Member of Parliament for Weobly
With: The Viscount Palmerston
| Succeeded by|
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Succeeded by|