|Coordinates: 51°52′22″N 6°22′34″E / 51.87278°N 6.37611°E|
Gendringen is a village in the Dutch province of Gelderland. It is located in the municipality of Oude IJsselstreek, about 12 km southeast of Doetinchem and 20 km northwest of the German city Bocholt. It has approximately 4500 inhabitants. In the Middle Ages, Gendringen was a fortress. Being property of the archbishop of Köln (Cologne), Gendringen was loaned to the lords living in the castle of 's-Heerenberg. In 1830, downtown Gendringen burned down for the most part. Nowadays the 'Grotestraat' (the main street and most important street of downtown Gendringen) is a nice shopping street, where most of the entrepreneurs of the town are situated. Gendringen was a separate municipality until 2005. Then, due to the municipal re-organization in the Achterhoek, Gendringen and Wisch joined together to Oude IJsselstreek. Between Gendringen and Ulft (on the north), industrial zone 'De IJsselweide' is located. On the east of Gendringen there is a little forest, called Engbergen, where a large playground and a petting zoo are situated.
Gendringen has one football club, v.v. Gendringen, which currently plays in the '3e Klasse' (3th class). Besides, the town has a tennis club (IJsselweide), a gym and a gymnastics club (St. Paulus). Until 2004, Gendringen had an own cycle race called 'Dwars door Gendringen' (right through Gendringen). Since 2006, Gendringen takes part in the Olympia's Tour. Examples of famous cyclists who won the race once or more are Servais Knaven, Jeroen Blijlevens and Alessandro Petacchi. Regularly, the NK (Dutch Championships) Survival takes place in Gendringen. Local athletics club Atletico '73 is well-known of the athletes Bram Som and Arnoud Okken. Atletico '73 is situated on sports park 'De IJsselweide', which is located between Gendringen and nearby town Ulft and also accommodates the above mentioned football club, as well as football club SDOUC from Ulft, hockey club HCOIJ and a very modern indoor sports hall.
Born in Gendringen
- Dora Visser (1819-1876), mystic.
- Anthony Christiaan Winand Staring (1767-1840), Dutch author and poet.
- Arne Jansen (1951-2007), Dutch singer
- Johannes van der Vegte (1892-1945), olympic rower
- Adolf Robbert van de Laar (1871-1959), politician and member of the Dutch House of Representatives
- Ad van der Meer and Onno Boonstra, "Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten", KNAW, 2006. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 20, 2007. Retrieved December 3, 2009.
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Gendringen". Map of the former municipality, abt. 1868.