Gau Electoral Hesse
|Gau Electoral Hesse|
|Gau of Nazi Germany|
|•||1943–1944||Karl Gerland (acting)|
|•||Disestablishment||8 May 1945|
|Today part of||Germany|
The Gau Electoral Hesse (German: Gau Kurhessen) was an administrative division of Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945 the northern parts of the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau. Before that, from 1927 to 1933, it was the regional subdivision of the Nazi Party in that area.
The Nazi Gau (plural Gaue) system was originally established in a party conference on 22 May 1926, in order to improve administration of the party structure. From 1933 onwards, after the Nazi seizure of power, the Gaue increasingly replaced the German states as administrative subdivisions in Germany. The Gau was originally part of the Gau Hesse (German: Gau Hessen) which was split into north and south in 1927. In 1934 the Gau Hesse-Nassau Nord was reorganised and renamed Gau Electoral Hesse.
At the head of each Gau stood a Gauleiter, a position which became increasingly more powerful, especially after the outbreak of the Second World War, with little interference from above. Local Gauleiter often held government positions as well as party ones and were in charge of, among other things, propaganda and surveillance and, from September 1944 onward, the Volkssturm and the defense of the Gau.
The position of Gauleiter in Electoral Hesse was originally held by Walter Schultz from 1927 to 1928, followed by Karl Weinrich from 1928 to 1943. Karl Gerland succeed Weinrich, initially in an acting position before becoming Gauleiter in 1944. Gerland was killed in action in April 1945. Weinrich, his predecessor who was removed from his position because of incompetence during a bombing raid on Kassel, survived the war, was sentenced to a ten year prison term in 1949 and died in 1973.
- Gauliga Hessen, the highest association football league in the Gau from 1933 to 1945
- "Die NS-Gaue" [The Nazi Gaue]. dhm.de (in German). Deutsches Historisches Museum. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Gau Kurhessen". verwaltungsgeschichte.de (in German). Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "The Organization of the Nazi Party & State". nizkor.org. The Nizkor Project. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Übersicht der NSDAP-Gaue, der Gauleiter und der Stellvertretenden Gauleiter zwischen 1933 und 1945" [Overview of Nazi Gaue, the Gauleiter and assistant Gauleiter from 1933 to 1945]. zukunft-braucht-erinnerung.de (in German). Zukunft braucht Erinnerung. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Ex-Gauleiter Weinrich zu zehn Jahren Haft verurteilt" [Former Gauleiter Weinrich sentenced to 10 years in jail]. nordhessen-online.com (in German). Retrieved 26 March 2016.