Gangwon Province (historical)
|• Revised Romanization||Gangwon-do|
Gangwon Province or Gangwon-do (Korean pronunciation: [kaŋwʌn-do]) was one of the Eight Provinces of Korea during the Joseon Dynasty. The province was formed in 1395, and derived its name from the names of the principal cities of Gangneung (강릉; 江陵) and the provincial capital Wonju (원주; 原州).
In 1896, Korea was redivided into thirteen provinces, and the two districts were merged to re-form Gangwon-do Province. Although Wonju rejoined Gangwon-do province, the provincial capital was moved to Chuncheon (춘천; 春川).
With the division of Korea in 1945, the subsequent establishment of separate North and South Korean governments in 1948, and the conclusion of the Korean War in 1953, Gangwon came to be divided into separate provinces once again: Gangwon-do (South Korea) and Kangwon-do (North Korea).