Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna, Rome
The Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna
|Coordinates||41°54′14″N 12°29′09″E / 41.9040°N 12.4858°ECoordinates: 41°54′14″N 12°29′09″E / 41.9040°N 12.4858°E|
|Type||museum of modern and contemporary art|
The Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna is the museum of modern and contemporary art of the city of Rome, Italy. It is housed in a former Barefoot Carmelite monastery dating from the 17th century and adjacent to the church of San Giuseppe a Capo le Case, at 24 Via Francesco Crispi.
The origins of the collection of the museum date from a purchase by the comune of Rome of works from the Esposizione Internazionale di Belle Arti, or international fine art exhibition, of 1883. The museum was officially constituted in 1925. It was renamed "Galleria Mussolini" in 1931, closed in 1938 and re-opened in 1949. In 1995 it moved to the present premises. It was closed for restoration in 2003, and re-opened in 2011.
The gallery contains more than 3000 sculptures, paintings and graphic works of the late 19th century and the early 20th century, by artists including Giacomo Balla, Carlo Carrà, Arturo Dazzi, Giorgio de Chirico, Renato Guttuso, Giacomo Manzù and Giorgio Morandi.
- Storia del museo (in Italian). Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna. Accessed May 2013.
- Carlo Alberto Bucci (19 August 2014). Galleria di via Crispi, maxi-ampliamento col deposito Ama e Casa Gagosian (in Italian). La Repubblica. Accessed August 2015.
- Galleria d’Arte Moderna, viaggio tra forme e colori post risorgimentali e del Novecento (in Italian). Roma Capitale: Assessorato alle Politiche e Centro Storico – Sovrintendenza Capitolina ai Beni Culturali. Accessed May 2013.