|Parent company||Cengage Learning|
|Founded||1954(as Gale Group)|
|Founder||Frederick Gale Ruffner|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Farmington Hills, Michigan|
|Publication types||Books, Databases|
Gale is an educational publishing company based in Farmington Hills, Michigan, the United States, in the western suburbs of Detroit. It was part of the Thomson Learning division of the Thomson Corporation, a Canadian company, but became part of Cengage Learning in 2007.
The company, formerly known as Gale Research and the Gale Group, is active in research and educational publishing for public and academic libraries, schools and businesses. The company may be best known for its full-text magazine and newspaper databases, InfoTrac, and other online databases accessible from schools and libraries, as well as multi-volume reference works, especially in the areas of religion, history and social science.
In 1999, Thomson Gale acquired Macmillan Reference USA (including Scribner's Reference, Thorndike Press, Schirmer, Twayne Publishers, and G. K. Hall) from Pearson (which had acquired it from Simon & Schuster in 1998; Macmillan USA was purchased by Simon & Schuster in 1994). In 2000 it acquired the Munich-based K. G. Saur Verlag, but then sold it to Walter de Gruyter in 2006.
On October 25, 2006 Thomson Corporation announced that it intended to wholly divest the Thomson Learning division, because, in the words of Thomson CEO Richard Harrington, "it does not fit with our long-term strategic vision". Thomson has said that it expected this sale to generate approximately $5 billion. Thomson Learning was bought by a private equity consortium consisting of Apax Partners and OMERS Capital Partners for $7.75 billion and the name was changed from Thomson Learning to Cengage Learning on July 24, 2007.
Gale produces hundreds of products, such as Academic OneFile, Biography and Genealogy Master Index, General OneFile, General Reference Center, Sabin Americana (based on Sabin's Bibliotheca Americana), and World History Collection.
Gale print imprints include the reference brands Primary Source Media, Scholarly Resources Inc., Schirmer Reference, St. James Press, The TAFT Group and Twayne Publishers, among others. Five Star Publishing is Gale's fiction imprint, with hundreds of books in print in the Western, Romance, Mystery and Science Fiction & Fantasy genres. Gale also sells into the K–12 market with several imprints, including U·X·L, Greenhaven Press, KidHaven Press, Lucent Books, and others. Gale also owns large print publishers Christian Large Print and Wheeler Publishing.
- AccessMyLibrary – web access to Gale databases for patrons of public and school libraries
- Contemporary Authors published by Gale
- Dictionary of Literary Biography published by Gale
- Encyclopaedia Judaica published by Gale
- Encyclopedia of Associations published by Gale
- HighBeam Research owned by Gale
- New Catholic Encyclopedia published by Gale
- Questia Online Library owned by Gale
- Gale – Helping Libraries Prepare for the 21st Century – inforum.cz – Retrieved February 23, 2009
- McCracken, Jeffrey. "Gale Research to merge. (merger between Gale Research Co. and The Thompson Group)." Crain's Detroit Business. Crain Communications, Inc. September 21, 1998. Retrieved February 23, 2009 from HighBeam Research: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-21199527.html
- "Thomson Gale Part of Larger Sale" by Norman Oder, Library Journal, June 1, 2007
- Cengage Learning Names Patrick C. Sommers President of Gale
- "Databases: Academic OneFile". Austin TX: University of Texas Libraries. Archived from the original on October 10, 2014.
- "eReviews: Biography: Biography and Genealogy Master Index", Library Journal, April 15, 2012,
BGMI is a throwback to another era
- Cengage Learning. "Database Title Lists". Gale: Title Lists. Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- "Gale". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Gale-owned sites and services
- Gale Directory Library – dozens of print directories on a digital platform
- Books & Authors – indexed database of fiction and nonfiction book titles