|Birth name||Gagan Pulasthi Bulathsinghala|
12 September 1961|
|Service/branch||Sri Lanka Air Force|
|Years of service||12 February 1981 - 12 September 2016|
|Rank||Air Chief Marshal|
Commander of the Air Force (Sri Lanka),|
Chief of Staff of the Sri Lanka Air Force
|Battles/wars||Sri Lankan Civil War|
|Awards||RWP, RSP, Vishita Sewa Vibushanaya VSV USP, psc|
Gagan Bulathsinghala (also known as Gagan Pulasthi Bulathsinghala) RWP, RSP, Vishita Sewa Vibushanaya VSV USP, M Phil (Def & Start Stu), MSc (Def Stu) in Mgt, ndc, psc is a retired air officer and a former Commander of the Sri Lanka Air Force. He was the former Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Air Force. Bulathsinghala retired on 12 September 2016.
Early life and education
Gagan was born in Colombo on 12 September 1961. His father was Bulathsinghalage Percy Marcus Perera who was a Lawyer and a former Flight Lieutenant at Royal Ceylon Air Force and mother Dona Beatrice Perera. He received his entire education from Nalanda College, Colombo. While at school he had done many extra curricular activities such as cadeting, rugger and being a member of many school societies. He was also involved in publishing the college monthly news paper Nalanda. Some of his contemporaries at Nalanda are Major General Ubaya Madawela, Major General Janaka Walgama, Major General Ajith Wikramasingha, Consultant Neurologist Udaya Ranawaka & former Sri Lanka test cricketer Sanath Kaluperuma.
Air Marshal Gagan is a graduate of Air Command and Staff College at Air University (United States Air Force) Alabama USA and the prestigious National Defence College (India) New Delhi. Gagan also holds Post graduate degrees of Master of Philosophy in Defence and Strategic Studies from University of Madras India, and a Master of Science in Defence Studies Management from General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University Sri Lanka. Gagan is also a Fellow of Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies, Hawaii and Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies USA.
He joined the Sri Lanka Air Force as an Officer Cadet on 12 February 1981 and was commissioned as a Pilot Officer in the General Duties Pilot Branch on 8 April 1983.
Gagan was the founding Commanding Officer of No. 6 Squadron SLAF and longest serving Commanding Officer of the No. 4 (VVIP/VIP) Helicopter Squadron SLAF. Air Marshal Bulathsinghala is a VVIP Pilot with over 4500 flying hours. He has the honour of being the VVIP pilot for four Sri Lankan Presidents J. R. Jayewardene, Ranasinghe Premadasa, Dingiri Banda Wijetunga and Chandrika Kumaratunga. Gagan also commanded the Sri Lanka Air Force Base China Bay.
The then Flying Officer Gagan was the pilot of Bell 412 that was hit by a Rocket-propelled grenade that has been fired by terrorists on 18 December 1986 in Poovarasankulam Vavuniya. After a fierce gun battle and in spite of losing one engine he managed to land the helicopter in Vavuniya base after declaring emergency.
During his tenure Air Marshal Gagan had held the positions of Aide de Camp to the Commander of Air Force, Overall Operations Commander Air Defence and the Command Flight Safety Officer, Chief Instructor of the Air Wing at Defence Service Command and Staff College, Director Air Operations, Chief of Staff. He was promoted to the rank of Air Marshal on 1 June 2015 and was appointed as the Commander of the Sri Lanka Air Force on 16 June 2015.
- Gagan promoted Air Chief Marshal
- Commander of the Sri Lanka Air Force
- New Chief of Defence Staff, Air Force Commander appointed
- Sri Lanka Air Force Excellence Award 2013
- Air Vice Marshal GP Bulathsinghala
- SLAF Commander calls on the Prime Minister
- New SLAF chief calls on State Minister…
- මම ඉපදුණේ ගුවන් යානයකද කියලා බොහෝ දෙනෙක් අහනවා
- Nalanda College Alumni United Arab Emirates
- Nalanda College Old Boys Association
- Nalanda College felicitates new Commander of the Air Force
- Nalanda College Felicitates New Commander of the Air Force
- ගුවන් හමුදාපති පුටුවට සිව්කොන් සටනක්
- Nalanda Keerthi Sri
- Air Force Commander receives 'Nalanda Keerthi Sri 2015" Award
- Nalandians’ Tribute to the Commander of the Air Force
- Operating under missile threat…
- More on heli ops
- A secret flight to Nedunkerni
- "48th Batch of Management Qualified NCOS Pass Out of Chinabay". Sri Lanka Airforce. 6 December 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Indian National Defence College visits AFHQ". Sri Lanka Airforce. 5 October 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Nalanda Walk 2012". Lakbima News. 22 January 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- Grit and hard work pays, says Thilangani Warakagoda
- No compromise in national security: New SLAF chief
- The Annual SLAF Islamic Religious Ceremony 2014
- Air Marshal Kolitha Gunatilleke assumes office
- New Air Force Commander calls on the Secretary
- SRI LANKAN DELEGATION CULTIVATES BILATERAL DEFENCE RELATIONS DURING SHANGRI LA DIALOGUE
|Commander of the Air Force
16 June 2015 - 12 September 2016
| Succeeded by|