Gabrielle (2013 film)
|Directed by||Louise Archambault|
|Written by||Louise Archambault|
Gabrielle is a 2013 Canadian drama film directed by Louise Archambault. It was screened in the Special Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. The film was first shown at the Locarno International Film Festival on 12 August 2013 where it won the Audience Award.
The film stars Gabrielle Marion-Rivard as Gabrielle, a young woman with Williams syndrome who participates in a choir of developmentally disabled adults, and begins a romantic relationship with her choirmate Martin (Alexandre Landry) while the choir prepares for an upcoming engagement singing backing vocals for Robert Charlebois.
The film was selected as the Canadian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 86th Academy Awards, but it was not nominated. The film was also a finalist for Best Canadian Film at the Toronto Film Critics Association Awards 2013, alongside The Dirties and the eventual winner, Watermark.
The film garnered six Canadian Screen Award nominations at the 2nd Canadian Screen Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actress (Marion-Rivard), Best Supporting Actor (Landry), Best Editing (Richard Comeau), Best Sound (Bernard Gariépy Strobl and Pierre Bertrand) and Best Sound Editing (Sylvain Bellemare). It won the awards for Best Picture and Best Actress.
- Gabrielle Marion-Rivard as Gabrielle
- Alexandre Landry as Martin
- Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin as Sophie
- Vincent-Guillaume Otis as Rémi
- Benoit Gouin as Laurent
- Sébastien Ricard as Raphael
- Marie Gignac as Martin's mother
- Isabelle Vincent as Gabrielle's mother
- Robert Charlebois as Himself
- List of submissions to the 86th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Canadian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Buyers adopt Gabrielle from eOne". Screen Daily. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Gabrielle". TIFF. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- Vivarelli, Nick (6 August 2013). "Locarno Film Festival's New Topper Carlo Chatrian Raises the Stakes". Variety. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Locarno International Film Festival Awards for 2013". Internet Movie Database, 2013
- "Interview: Louise Archambault on her film 'Gabrielle'". Indiewire, 21 November 2013.
- "Locarno Film Review: ‘Gabrielle’". Variety, 20 August 2013.
- "Gabrielle gets Canada's Oscar selection for best foreign film". The Canadian Press. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Oscars: Canada Names 'Gabrielle' As Foreign Language Contender". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Critics name Baichwal documentary 'Watermark' best Canadian film". CTV News, 7 January 2014.
- "Canadian Screen Awards: Orphan Black, Less Than Kind, Enemy nominated". CBC News, 13 January 2014.
- "'Orphan Black,' 'Gabrielle' big winners at Canadian Screen Awards". CTV News, 9 March 2014.