Arthur Gabriel Hebert, SSM (1886–1963) was a monk of Kelham, Nottinghamshire (more strictly a member of the Society of the Sacred Mission), and a proponent within Anglicanism of the ideas of the Liturgical Movement. As such he was in familiar contact with Benedictine monasteries in Austria and Germany. Hebert also had contacts with artists and with Protestant circles in Switzerland and with the Lutheran High Church movement in Sweden. He was very much aware of the social implications of liturgical renewal in Continental Europe.
Many mistakenly read his surname as Herbert. Notice the 'r' before the 'b'. But his actual surname is Hebert, with only one 'r', which is before the 't'. This is most likely due to the fact that "Herbert" is a well-known name while Hebert is relatively unknown, and the brain makes a quick, though in this case erroneous, judgement. Both the modern editions from SPCK and Wipf & Stock, which have been on sale for years now, have made this error on their Amazon pages and websites, though the actual publications themselves still retain the correct spelling.
Hebert was in some respects a disciple of Dom Gregory Dix.
- Christus Victor, 1931 by Gustaf Aulen (translator)
- Liturgy and Society, London: Faber and Faber, 1935
- The Parish Eucharist, 1936
- The Form of the Church, 1945
- contributor to Catholicity: a study in the conflict of Christian traditions in the west / being a report presented to...the Archbishop of Canterbury, Westminster: Dacre Press, 1947
- The Authority of the Old Testament, London: Faber and Faber, 1947
- Fundamentalism and the Church of God, Philadelphia: Westminster, 1957
- The Christ of Faith and the Jesus of History, London: SCM Press, 1962
- The Old Testament from Within, London: Oxford, 1962
- Apostle and Bishop: a study of the Gospel, the ministry, and the Church-community, London: Faber and Faber, 1963
- contributor to True Worship, ed. Lancelot Sheppard, Baltimore : London: Helicon Press; Darton, Longman & Todd, 1963
- Articles in The Expository Times
- Irvine, Christopher (1993). Worship, church and society : an exposition of the work of Arthur Gabriel Hebert. Canterbury Press. ISBN 1-85311-074-4.