Gérard Pierre Cornuéjols (born 1950) is the IBM University Professor of Operations Research in the Carnegie Mellon University Tepper School of Business. His research interests include facility location, integer programming, balanced matrices, and perfect graphs.
Education and career
He was editor-in-chief of Mathematics of Operations Research from 1999 to 2003. He was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in 2002.
Cornuéjols is the author of:
- Combinatorial Optimization: Packing and Covering (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2001).
- Optimization Methods in Finance (With Reha Tütüncü, Cambridge University Press, 2007).
- Integer Programming (With Michele Conforti and Giacomo Zambelli, Graduate Texts in Mathematics 271, Springer-Verlag, 2014).
Awards and honors
In 1977, Cornuéjols was one of the winners of the Frederick W. Lanchester Prize of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS). In 2000, he won the Fulkerson Prize with Michele Conforti and Mendu Rammohan Rao for their work on algorithms for recognizing balanced matrices. In 2009 the Mathematical Optimization Society gave him their George B. Dantzig Prize. In 2011 he won the John von Neumann Theory Prize of INFORMS "for his fundamental and broad contributions to discrete optimization including his deep research on balanced and ideal matrices, perfect graphs and cutting planes for mixed-integer optimization". In 2016 he was elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
- "Gérard P. Cornuéjols", About our faculty, CMU Tepper School of Business, retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Gérard Cornuéjols at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Stats & History", Mathematics of Operations Research, INFORMS, retrieved 2015-10-01.
- ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1897, International Mathematical Union, retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Review of Combinatorial Optimization: Packing and Covering by Rainer Burkard (2002), MR 1828452.
- Review of Integer Programming by Marcin Anholcer, MR 3237726.
- Frederick W. Lanchester Prize, INFORMS, retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Jackson, Allyn (September 2000), "2000 Fulkerson Prize" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 47 (9): 1086.
- Awarded Dantzig Prize: Cornuejols Pioneers New Solutions, Carnegie Mellon University, retrieved 2015-10-01.
- INFORMS News: Cornuejols earns von Neumann Theory Prize, INFORMS, retrieved 2015-10-01.
- National Academy of Engineering Elects 80 Members and 22 Foreign Members, National Academy of Engineering, February 8, 2016.