Frederick, Duke of Mecklenburg-Grabow
|Frederick, Duke of Mecklenburg-Grabow|
|Spouse(s)||Christine Wilhelmine of Hesse-Homburg|
|Father||Adolf Frederick I, Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
|Mother||Marie Katharina of Brunswick-Dannenberg|
13 February 1638|
28 April 1688 50) (aged|
|Buried||Schelfkirche St. Nikolai in Schwerin|
Through his late birth, he was excluded from active government and was an "apanagierter" prince. Via the death of his brother without issue Frederick I's three sons became ruling duke of Mecklenburg [-Schwerin] one after the other. In 1667 Frederick became Domherr of Strasbourg Cathedral and from 1669, he lived in the family castle in Grabow. Frederick died in a fire in the castle and was on 3 June 1725 buried in the Schelfkirche St. Nikolai in Schwerin
Marriage and issue
- Frederick William I (28 March 1675 - 31 July 1713); married Sophie Charlotte of Hesse-Kassel (July 16, 1678 - May 30, 1749), daughter of Charles I, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel; no children.
- Carl Leopold (26 November 1678 - 28 November 1747); married Tsarevna Catherine of Russia (sister of Empress Anna); their daughter was Grand Duchess Anna Leopoldovna of Russia, mother of Ivan VI of Russia.
- Christian Ludwig II (15 May 1683 - 30 May 1756); married his first cousin, Duchess Gustave Caroline of Mecklenburg-Strelitz; had five children.
- Sophie Louise (16 May 1685 - 29 July 1735); third wife of Frederick I of Prussia; no children.
- Literature about Frederick, Duke of Mecklenburg-Grabow in the State Bibliography (Landesbibliographie) of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern