Fradswell shown within Staffordshire
|OS grid reference||SJ 9918|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||West Midlands|
Fradswell is a village in Staffordshire, England, approximately 7 miles (10 km) north-east of the City of Stafford and 7 miles (11 km) north of Colwich. Fradwell was first mentioned as part of the Colwich parish in the Domesday Book, where it is listed as Frodawelle or Frodeswelle, and it is likely to have been an Anglian settlement established during the Dark Ages.
The village received a church of its own in the 13th century, when the Chapel of Saint James The Less was established. The chancel survives, but the main part of the church was rebuilt in 1764. Fradswell became a parish in its own right in February 1851 (it has since become the Milwich with Fradswell Parish), and further refurbishment, including the building of a new nave and the installation of stained glass by William Wailes, followed soon after. At this time it had 237 inhabitants and 1,100 acres (4.5 km2) of land
Media related to Fradswell at Wikimedia Commons
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Raven, Michael "Guide to Staffordshire and the Black Country,The Potteries and the Peak" (2004); Michael Raven
- White, William "History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire" Sheffield, 1851)