Fluberg municipality was created January 1, 1914 when it was separated from Søndre Land. Fluberg had a population of 2.027 at this point. On January 1, 1962 the municipality of Fluberg with 2,110 inhabitants was reunited with Søndre Land. The exceptions were the district of Tranlia and the property Store Røen, with 196 inhabitants, which were moved to Nordre Land.
Fluberg Church (Fluberg Kirke) is the oldest existing church in Søndre Land. This was the main church for both Nordre and Søndre Land right up until 1866. The present church was built of timber in 1703.
- Ola Viker (1897–1972), Norwegian novelist and lawyer
- Øyvind Myhre, Norwegian author of science fiction and fantasy literature.
- Johan Peter Weisse (1832–1886), Norwegian philologist.
The municipality (originally the parish) was named after the old farm Fluberg (Norse Fluguberg), since the first church was built there. The first element seems to be the genitive case of an old rivername *Fluga, the last element is berg n 'mountain'.
The (hypothetical) river name *Fluga could be derived from fluga f 'fly' ('the river making sounds like a fly'), or from flug n 'steep side of a mountain'.