|Coordinates: 47°30′N 7°19′E / 47.50°N 7.32°ECoordinates: 47°30′N 7°19′E / 47.50°N 7.32°E|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||François Cohendet|
|Area1||1.94 km2 (0.75 sq mi)|
|• Density||560/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||68090 / 68480|
429–640 m (1,407–2,100 ft) |
(avg. 550 m or 1,800 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
It is situated close to the Swiss border. Its main attraction is the Château de Ferrette.
County of Ferrette
The County of Ferrette came into existence in the 11th century and consisted of a large part of southern Alsace. In 1324, the County was acquired by Austria through the marriage of Jeanne, Countess of Ferrette, with Albert II, Duke of Austria. The County was part of the dowry for Catherine of Burgundy upon her marriage to Duke Leopold IV. Upon Leopold's death in 1411, his brother, Frederick occupied Ferrette. Austria ceded it to France in the Peace of Westphalia of 1648.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ferrette.|