Federico I Gonzaga, Marquess of Mantua
|Federico I Gonzaga|
|Spouse(s)||Margaret of Bavaria|
|Noble family||House of Gonzaga|
|Father||Ludovico III Gonzaga|
|Mother||Barbara of Brandenburg|
25 June 1441|
14 July 1484 43) (aged|
Federico was born in Mantua in 1441, son of Ludovico III and Barbara of Brandenburg. He was a good friend of the court painter Andrea Mantegna and received an education from Mantegna's mother as well as from Vittorino da Feltre (d. 1446) and above all from Iacopo da San Cassiano (from 1446 to 1449) and Ognibene da Lonigo (from 1449).
Federico continued to fight as a condottiero, and during his frequent absences Mantua was administered by Eusebio Malatesta, while the local army was under his brother-in-law, Francesco Secco d'Aragona. Federico took part in numerous actions in defence of the Duchy of Milan, in particular against the aggressive Republic of Venice. During one of these wars Francesco Secco occupied Asola and other Venetian territories. Later, after the peace, Ludovico Sforza of Milan asked for the return of Asola to Milan, to which Frederick had to acquiesce.
He died in Mantua at the age of 43, and was buried in the church of Sant'Andrea.
- Clara (1464-1503) married in 1482 to Gilbert of Bourbon-Montpensier Duke of Sessa; parents of Charles III, Duke of Bourbon.
- Francesco II (1466-1519), Marquess of Mantua; married in 1490 to Isabella d'Este daughter of King Ferdinand I of Naples; parents in law of Francesco Maria I della Rovere Duke of Urbino and nephew of Guidobaldo da Montefeltro
- Sigismondo (1469–1525)
- Elisabetta (1471–1526) married in 1489 to Guidobaldo da Montefeltro Duke of Urbino
- Maddelena (1472–90) married in 1489 to Giovanni Sforza Lord of Pesaro and Gradara who later married Lucrezia Borgia.
- Giovanni (1474–1525) married in 1493 Laura Bentivoglio (d.1523) and had issue. His descendants, the Marquises of Vescovato, have been the senior line of the House of Gonzaga since the 18th century.
- Coniglio, Giuseppe (1967). I Gonzaga. Varese: Dall'Oglio.
- Biography (Italian)
Federico I Gonzaga, Marquess of MantuaBorn: 25 June 1441 Died: 14 July 1484
|Marquess of Mantua
| Succeeded by|