Fearns Community Sports College
|Motto||Further, Faster, Higher|
Coordinates: 53°41′22″N 2°19′13″W / 53.68940°N 2.32029°W
|DfE URN||119745 Tables|
|Website||Fearns Community Sports College|
Fearns Community Sports College is a State Maintained co-educational secondary school in Bacup, Lancashire, England. The school caters to children of all abilities between the ages of 11 and 16 years.
The headteacher is Helen Stead.
In June 2014, the school was placed in special measures, after being rated 'inadequate' in every category of the latest OFSTED report. The inspectors stated that "marking is ‘inconsistent’, pupil attendance is poor and senior leaders and governors have failed to improve the quality of teaching and raise achievement since the last ‘satisfactory’ inspection in June 2012".
Some areas of improvement in the June 2012 report were:
- Improve the quality of all teaching by disseminating best practice across the school.
- Ensure that all teachers set challenging individual targets for pupils to support them in improving their learning.
- Improve the attendance and behaviour of the small minority of pupils with negative attitudes to learning.
- Abbit, Beth. "Fearns placed in special measures after damning report". Rossendale Free Press. MEN Media. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Fearns Community Sports College School Inspection" , Her Majesty’s Inspectors of Schools, Office for Standards in Education.
- Fearns Sports college website
- School Statistics taken from UK government site
- Results of Fearns Community Sports College - School Inspection