Faculty of Divinity, University of Cambridge
|Faculty of Divinity, University of Cambridge|
|Parent institution||University of Cambridge|
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, United Kingdom|
Coordinates: 52°12′07″N 0°06′29″E / 52.2019°N 0.1080°E
The Faculty of Divinity, Cambridge is the divinity school of the University of Cambridge. Divinity has been taught in the University of Cambridge since its foundation in the early 13th century, around the time that the University itself was founded. Divinity (in some form or other) is one of only two subjects to have been taught continuously throughout the history of the University.
The Faculty is now situated on the University's Sidgwick Site, in the west of the city, with the current Faculty building being officially opened in 2001.
It is part of the Cambridge Theological Federation, offering academic training to ordinands as well as to the University's own undergraduates. The current undergraduate degree is called "Theological and Religious Studies" rather than Divinity, reflecting the range of topics and diversification in the field covered by the teaching.
- Old Testament
- New Testament
- Christian Theology
- History of Christianity
- Philosophy of Religion
- Religious Studies
- Late antiquity
- Hebrew, Jewish, Early Christian
- World Christianities
- Scriptural languages
Notable Senior Members
- Erasmus of Rotterdam
- Thomas Cranmer
- Nicholas Ridley
- Donald MacKinnon
- G. H. Lampe
- Michael Ramsey
- C. H. Dodd
- Joseph Barber Lightfoot
- Nicholas Lash
- Geoffrey M. Styler
- J. A. T. Robinson
- David Ford
- Morna Hooker
- A brief history of theology at Cambridge, Faculty of Divinity, University of Cambridge,
- 800 Years of History: Cambridge through the Centuries, University of Cambridge.
- Introductory lecture, Divinity faculty, October 2008
- Official Map:Sidgwick Site, University of Cambridge.
- plaque, Faculty of Divinity building
- The Bachelor of Theology for Ministry (BTh), Cambridge Theological Foundation, University of Cambridge.
- The undergraduate Tripos.
- Subject areas, Faculty of Divinity, University of Cambridge.
- Staff, Faculty of Divinity, University of Cambridge.
David M. Thompson, Cambridge Theology in the Nineteenth Century: Enquiry, Controversy and Truth (London: Ashgate, 2008).