Royal Historical Society
The society was founded and received its Royal Charter in 1868. Until 1872 it was known as the Historical Society. In 1897, it merged with (or absorbed) the Camden Society, founded in 1838. It is now based at University College London.
In its origins, and for many years afterwards, the society was effectively a gentlemen's club. It now exists to promote historical research worldwide, representing historians engaged in professional research and presenting history in the public domain.
The society provides a varied programme of lectures and one-day and two-day conferences covering various kinds of historical issues. It convenes in London and from time to time elsewhere throughout the United Kingdom.
The society's membership comprises honorary vice-presidents (management), fellows (entitled to use FRHistS or formerly F.R.Hist.Soc. as post-noms), corresponding fellows, members and associates. Its archives at Senate House include many records of international as well as British history. The society encourages, promotes and sponsors (by way of grants) historical research, academic or otherwise. Publications include its monographic series Studies in History, its annual Transactions (first published as Transactions of the Historical Society, 1872, and the Camden Series of editions and translations of texts; as well as digital publications, such as the Bibliography of British and Irish History.
- 1871–1872 George Grote
- 1873–1878 Lord John Russell, later 1st Earl Russell
- 1878–1891 Henry Bruce, 1st Baron Aberdare
- 1891–1899 Sir Mountstuart Grant Duff
- 1899–1901 Sir Adolphus Ward
- 1901–1905 Sir George Prothero
- 1905–1909 The Revd William Hunt
- 1909–1913 The Ven. William Cunningham
- 1913–1917 Sir Charles Firth
- 1917–1921 Sir Charles Oman
- 1921–1925 The Hon. Sir John Fortescue
- 1925–1929 Frederick Tout
- 1929–1933 Sir Richard Lodge
- 1933–1937 Sir Frederick Powicke
- 1937–1945 Sir Frank Stenton
- 1946–1949 Robert William Seton-Watson
- 1949–1953 Theodore Plucknett
- 1953–1957 Hale Bellot
- 1957–1961 Dom David Knowles
- 1961–1965 Sir Goronwy Edwards
- 1965–1969 Robin Humphreys
- 1969–1973 Sir Richard Southern
- 1973–1977 Sir Geoffrey Elton
- 1977–1981 Sir John Habakkuk
- 1981–1985 Sir James Clarke Holt
- 1985–1989 Gerald Aylmer
- 1989–1993 Michael Thompson
- 1993–1997 Sir Rees Davies
- 1997–2001 Peter Marshall
- 2001–2005 Dame Janet Nelson
- 2005–2008 Martin Daunton
- 2009–2012 Colin D. H. Jones
- 2012–2016 Peter Mandler
- 2016–2020 Margot Finn
- Library of Congress authorities
- Taylor Milne 1968, p. 49n.
- www.royalhistsoc.org List of Fellows
- Vol. 1 ()-v. 10 (1882) ; new ser., v. 1 (1883)-new ser., v. 20 (1906) ; 3rd ser., v. 1 (1907)-3rd ser., v. 11 (1917) ; 4th ser., v. 1 (1918)-4th ser., v. 32 (1950) ; 5th ser., v. 1 (1951)-5th ser., 40 (1990) ; 6th ser., 1 (1991)- (British Library catalogue)
- Taylor Milne, Alexander (1968). A Centenary Guide to the Publications of the Royal Historical Society 1868–1968, and of the former Camden Society 1838–1897. Royal Historical Society Guides and Handbooks. London: Royal Historical Society.